Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:57
English to German
+ ...
I second that motion... Sep 29, 2010

writeaway wrote:
The glory will be in providing valuable knowledge and not in running after and collecting meaningless pointZ. And Askers just may be forced to start doing their own work and not turning to two-legged dictionaries/research 'engines'.

Amen.

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:57
Italian to English
+ ...
You took the words right out of my mouth! Sep 30, 2010

writeaway wrote:
The glory will be in providing valuable knowledge and not in running after and collecting meaningless pointZ. And Askers just may be forced to start doing their own work and not turning to two-legged dictionaries/research 'engines'.

The revolution starts here.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:57
English to German
+ ...
The askers who do not answer, logged in or not Oct 4, 2010

writeaway wrote:

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

I simply don't answer any more.

When I see someone asking a term, especially on a PRO basis, that any high school student would easily find in the first at hand vocabulary, and when I see that smily (sic!, why not) asker's face whenever they get a job - and you can tell easily when they finally landed a job, then I ask myself - do such people have any shame at all ?

And no, I don't answer, even if I know the term perfectly and could increase my PRO-point score without an effort.

I don't answer any more either but if only no-one would answer, then we might actually bring the message home that this is not acceptable.

and the rush to answer will stop. Genuine problems will receive help and the Kudoz pointZ-chasers will drop by the wayside unless they really can make a useful contribution to the answer. The glory will be in providing valuable knowledge and not in running after and collecting meaningless pointZ. And Askers just may be forced to start doing their own work and not turning to two-legged dictionaries/research 'engines'.

The askers who do not answer, logged in or not, do not contribute to KudoZ except by sometimes entering the answers they choose into the glossary (if they can take time out of their busy schedules) - not always a good thing.

They won't stop asking just because answerers can't get any KudoZ points anymore, or maybe I haven't thought this through right?
No points means only the ones interested in building a quality glossary will answer?
I believe we should keep the KudoZ points system but change it: points should reveal the answer-point ratio (how many answers versus how many points) and translators should be ranked according to that.
I started a thread on non-answerers who have asked hundreds (and some have asked thousands) of questions and have never provided any answers whatsoever or have only done so a few times.
I currently do not answer any non-answerers' questions.

Here is the link to my thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/181777-questions_asked_600_questions_answered_0.html

All the best,

Bernhard

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:57
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Honest KudoZ statistics should reveal the answer-point ratio Oct 4, 2010

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
I believe we should keep the KudoZ points system but change it: points should reveal the answer-point ratio (how many answers versus how many points) and translators should be ranked according to that.

Exactly, KudoZ to you Bernhard! Or, better yet, reveal how many questions answered versus how many answers selected as most helpful. I personally don't understand why this ratio is not visible to everyone. This would not only be a rather useful indicator of one's translation abilities & expertise but might also encourage compulsive answerers (a.k.a. habitual googlers) to stop and think before they click the 'submit answer' button within 4 minutes after each question is posted.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:57
English to German
+ ...
reveal how many questions answered versus how many answers selected as most helpful Oct 4, 2010

ildiko wrote:
...reveal how many questions answered versus how many answers selected as most helpful. I personally don't understand why this ratio is not visible to everyone. This would not only be a rather useful indicator of one's translation abilities & expertise but might also encourage compulsive answerers (a.k.a. habitual googlers) to stop and think before they click the 'submit answer' button within 4 minutes after each question is posted.

agree 100%.
Thank you, Ildiko!

[Edited at 2010-10-04 21:02 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Honesty is the best policy - Following on from Cetaceo and non-logged in users

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »