Non-logged-in visitors
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
May 11, 2021

I'm not even really sure what non-logged-in visitors are, though I assume they're people who haven't signed up to the site but can still ask questions.

In my experience and language pairs, they never, ever

- Interact with anyone, or provide additional information when asked
- Say thank you
- Close questions or award points. It's possible they're not even able to do so.

I often don't notice their non-logged-in status, because the only indication
... See more
I'm not even really sure what non-logged-in visitors are, though I assume they're people who haven't signed up to the site but can still ask questions.

In my experience and language pairs, they never, ever

- Interact with anyone, or provide additional information when asked
- Say thank you
- Close questions or award points. It's possible they're not even able to do so.

I often don't notice their non-logged-in status, because the only indication of this is that their names appear in black.

If anyone from ProZ is reading this, could you tell us why they're not required to log in and follow the same basic requirements as the rest of us?

Thanks!
Collapse

neilmac
P.L.F. Persio
Christel Zipfel
Barbara Carrara
Robert Forstag
Philip Lees
ahartje

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:51
Member (2008)
Italian to English
At the beginning May 11, 2021

In my case, back at the beginning before I became a paying member, it was good to be able to explore Proz without being a member- to see whether I could use paid membership or not. It was a year or more before I finally decided to join, but during that year, the ability to explore the site gradually persuaded me that it would be a worthwhile investment.

So when I see that someone is not logged in, I tend to assume they are newbies, exploring.

philgoddard
Dalia Nour

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tom May 11, 2021

But surely, even before you became a paying member, you had to log in to use the site.

These people are also shown as "Non-Proz.com".

[Edited at 2021-05-11 16:42 GMT]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Sometimes they are actually members who simply don't log on to ask questions May 12, 2021

philgoddard wrote:

But surely, even before you became a paying member, you had to log in to use the site.

These people are also shown as "Non-Proz.com".

[Edited at 2021-05-11 16:42 GMT]

Sometimes the names are very familiar. It turns out they are actually members. The advantage of asking questions without logging on is that the questions don't show up on the profile page. It then looks like that person hasn't had to ask any or has only asked very few, if they do occasionally log on to ask.

Dalia Nour

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 22:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Tom May 12, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

In my case, back at the beginning before I became a paying member, it was good to be able to explore Proz without being a member- to see whether I could use paid membership or not. It was a year or more before I finally decided to join, but during that year, the ability to explore the site gradually persuaded me that it would be a worthwhile investment.

So when I see that someone is not logged in, I tend to assume they are newbies, exploring.

I started out the same way but we were then 'non-paying members'. At that time other people had to go through the process of becoming a non-paying member just to be able to contact you via the site or ask a single question. That was later changed and now non-members can still ask a question or, as has happened quite often in my case, contact me for work. The email I get then has a warning, something like, "sender was not logged-in".

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I still don't really understand this. May 12, 2021

I was a non-paying member for years, but I still had to log in to use the site. And regardless of this, they should be required to follow the same rules of courtesy as other users.

P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik
Dalia Nour
Ester Vidal
ahartje
Philip Lees

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:51
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aren't they the ones who have not signed up? May 12, 2021

Probably they will never sign up, and still probably some of them are the end clients.

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:51
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Non-logged-in visitors May 13, 2021

Many visits to my profile come from non-logged in visitors. I think many of them are members who don't bother logging in, but I can tell you for sure that at least some of them are clients who have never joined ProZ. I recently got some jobs from a non-registered outsourcer that way, and it was a very interesting person to work with. I see nothing wrong with that.

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:51
German to English
+ ...
KudoZ users specifically May 13, 2021

Marina Taffetani wrote:

Many visits to my profile come from non-logged in visitors. I think many of them are members who don't bother logging in, but I can tell you for sure that at least some of them are clients who have never joined ProZ. I recently got some jobs from a non-registered outsourcer that way, and it was a very interesting person to work with. I see nothing wrong with that.

The issue isn't with non-logged-in visitors to profiles. It's that they can use the KudoZ section of ProZ without being logged in, which is definitely an issue for reasons explained by OP and others.

philgoddard
Angie Garbarino
Christel Zipfel

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:51
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Oops, sorry May 13, 2021

Sorry, I misunderstood. I guess I shouldn't do several things at once, multitasking is definitely not my thing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-logged-in visitors

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »