Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Automatically Making Number of KudoZ Points the Criteria for Finding a Translator
Thread poster: Jeffrey Slenker
Jeffrey Slenker
Jeffrey Slenker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
@philgoddard Nov 21, 2022

No. I understand the process of receiving points from the person requesting help, who may or may not be a competent judge...

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:47
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Then, what do you suggest? Nov 23, 2022

Jeffrey Slenker wrote:

I don't think it is a great idea to auto-sort possible translators for a project with the translator having the highest number of KudoZ points at the top of the list. That translator could have a lot of time on their hands because nobody is hiring them, so they answer a lot of KudoZ questions. If a customer/agency asks for potential translators to be sorted by years of translation, certification, etc., you should use that as the basis for the sort. Don't force the agency to select a sorting criterion once they see the initial list of translators auto-sorted by number of KudoZ points, in addition to picking the criteria for the translator they are interested in on the prior pages.

[Edited at 2022-11-19 17:50 GMT]

Some have stated that the number of years working as a translator could be faked. How about the number of years you have been registered on Proz (including the period before becoming a member)? Nope, I don't think this is good either. Or does sorting names alphabetically work? Another no.

I guess earning KudoZ points is the only way to get yourself stand out in the directory. I know it's not the best way, but I don't think there are other good options. If there were, I believe someone would have already pointed that out.

Also, you mentioned in your post that people earning high KudoZ points have a lot of time on their hands because nobody is hiring them, but this is not true. I've been an active KudoZ participant until several years ago, but I did not participate just because I had too much free time. I remember putting a lot of time answering questions even when I was both really busy and when I was free. During busy times, it was like taking a break from my work. And I am happy that I am at the top or at least in the top three translators in the directory in fields I specialize and work in. The time I spent participating in KudoZ even when I was busy was not a waste but has become a precious resource for me now.

Christopher Schröder
TonyTK
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
philgoddard
Helena Chavarria
Michele Fauble
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes! Nov 23, 2022

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
I guess earning KudoZ points is the only way to get yourself stand out in the directory. I know it's not the best way, but I don't think there are other good options. If there were, I believe someone would have already pointed that out.

Also, you mentioned in your post that people earning high KudoZ points have a lot of time on their hands because nobody is hiring them, but this is not true. I've been an active KudoZ participant until several years ago, but I did not participate just because I had too much free time. I remember putting a lot of time answering questions even when I was both really busy and when I was free. During busy times, it was like taking a break from my work. And I am happy that I am at the top or at least in the top three translators in the directory in fields I specialize and work in. The time I spent participating in KudoZ even when I was busy was not a waste but has become a precious resource for me now.

Agree 100%.

Michele Fauble
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Jennifer Levey
Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Nov 23, 2022

I have seen here so many translators with no points whatsoever who say they have been working with some agencies that I suppose other criteria come into play: price? For my part, I don’t outsource often but when I do the number of the points gained by a certain translator in the subject field and language combination I am looking for is not the only criteria I use, but often is as important as the years of experience. As I have been a very active member since 2007 (15 years went by too fast!) ... See more
I have seen here so many translators with no points whatsoever who say they have been working with some agencies that I suppose other criteria come into play: price? For my part, I don’t outsource often but when I do the number of the points gained by a certain translator in the subject field and language combination I am looking for is not the only criteria I use, but often is as important as the years of experience. As I have been a very active member since 2007 (15 years went by too fast!) and apparently with “a lot of time on my hands”, another criterion I use is the way that translator behaves: is he/she friendly? Easy-going? Professional?Collapse

Philip Lees

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
? Nov 23, 2022

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

..... I suppose other criteria come into play..... is not the only criteria I use....

"scriteriata" is an excellent Italian adjective that applies here.

[Edited at 2022-11-23 14:58 GMT]

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:47
German to English
+ ...
In a gloomy day Nov 24, 2022

David GAY wrote:

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

seems to be a cycling term.
Autocorrect again, damn it.

Criterium is originally a latin word
https://www.wordsense.eu/criterium/
Noun
criterium (pl. criteriums)

(cycling) A mass-start road-cycle race consisting of several laps around a closed circuit, the length of each lap or circuit ranging from about 1 km to 2 km (1/2 mile to just over 1 mile).
Alternative form of criterion
1867 George H. Lewes, A Biographical History of Philosophy 1.181:
There is no criterium of truth.
Funny that English translators shouldn t know this.
My mistake, Irish, not English
Anyway, thanks, you ve made my day. One good laugh in a gloomy day

[Edited at 2022-11-20 17:57 GMT]

Thanks muchly for that great insight.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatically Making Number of KudoZ Points the Criteria for Finding a Translator

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »