Opinion poll:give your associations with the word"sport"
Thread poster: Jane T (X)
Jane T (X)
Jane T (X)
Nov 20, 2009

Hi! My research work is connected with the representation of the concept of "sport" in Russian and English languages and one of the steps of analysis is associative chain of words connected with the word "sport"
So, please, give your associations with the word "sport" (native English speakers preferably)

Thank in advance!

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:22
Russian to English
+ ...
Meanings Nov 20, 2009

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but here is a list of the things that come to my mind when I hear the word "sport" with no context whatsoever:

- Noun: a physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively, OR a particular form of such an activity. Note that Russians consider chess a sport, but it doesn't really fit under this English definition.
- Noun: the occupation of athletes who compete for pay;
- Noun: a gamble
... See more
I'm not sure what you're looking for, but here is a list of the things that come to my mind when I hear the word "sport" with no context whatsoever:

- Noun: a physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively, OR a particular form of such an activity. Note that Russians consider chess a sport, but it doesn't really fit under this English definition.
- Noun: the occupation of athletes who compete for pay;
- Noun: a gambler at sporting events;
- Noun: a person known for the way she (or he) behaves when teased or defeated or subjected to trying circumstances; "a good sport"; "a poor sport;"
- Noun: a mutant, an organism that has characteristics resulting from chromosomal alteration (this is a biological term);
- Noun: an object of mockery, jest, or play; a joking mood or attitude;
- Noun: fun, verbal wit or mockery (often at another's expense but not to be taken; seriously); a "sport" might be someone who has become a figure of fun"; "he said it in sport;"
- Noun: a mode of address: "Hey there, sport! How's it hanging?"
- Verb: to wear or display in an ostentatious or proud manner; "she was sporting a new hat;"
- Verb: to play or frolic;
- Verb: to joke or trifle.

As an exercise, you might try to find examples where each of these associations is used in a sentence.
Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:22
Russian to English
+ ...
More Nov 21, 2009

Here are two forms of "sport" for you. Both are adjectives:

Sporty:

- Flashy: (used especially of clothes) marked by conspicuous display

Sporting:

- Relating to or used in sports; "sporting events"; "sporting equipment;" "sports" is also used in this sense, as in "sports news," "sports car;"
- clean: exhibiting or calling for sportsmanship or fair play;"a sporting solution of a disagreement;"
- Involving risk or willingness to t
... See more
Here are two forms of "sport" for you. Both are adjectives:

Sporty:

- Flashy: (used especially of clothes) marked by conspicuous display

Sporting:

- Relating to or used in sports; "sporting events"; "sporting equipment;" "sports" is also used in this sense, as in "sports news," "sports car;"
- clean: exhibiting or calling for sportsmanship or fair play;"a sporting solution of a disagreement;"
- Involving risk or willingness to take a risk; "a sporting chance"; "sporting blood."

Does any of this help?

[Edited at 2009-11-21 23:41 GMT]
Collapse

Jane T (X)
Jane T (X)
TOPIC STARTER
re Nov 22, 2009

Thank you so much!) But it's simplier - for ex. 'sport' is - activity, health, breath, life, athletes, medal, Olympic Games, running, competiton and so on, these are my associations with the word 'sport'

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opinion poll:give your associations with the word"sport"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »