Difference between English UK, Australian and New Zealand
Thread poster: Karen Henry
Karen Henry
Karen Henry  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
French to English
Oct 24, 2012

Hello everyone,

Is there a big difference between these three variations of English? I wouldn't attempt to translate into English American as I know that there is a real difference between these languages, but what about Australian and New Zealand?

I'd be interested in hearing your views?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:38
Member (2008)
Italian to English
NZ Oct 24, 2012

karen henry wrote:

Hello everyone,

Is there a big difference between these three variations of English? I wouldn't attempt to translate into English American as I know that there is a real difference between these languages, but what about Australian and New Zealand?

I'd be interested in hearing your views?

Thu dafferance batwoon Astroolian Anglish end NZ Anglish ez thut thai pranence thoor viewels duffrintly. See here for an amusing deemunstrooshin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr1TUE1doJ8

[Edited at 2012-10-24 10:08 GMT]

Michelle Hertrich
Michelle Hertrich  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 24, 2012

In my previous life as an Australian physiotherapist I spent some time working for the British military. Believe me, there is a difference between Australian English and British English (learnt the hard, but funny way). A few examples: "Sir, please wear your thongs to the hydrotherapy pool so that you don´t get tinea" (thong = flipflops in Oz, dental floss-like underwear in the UK), "Sir, please take off your pants so that I can look at your knee" (pants=trousers in Oz, underwear in the UK), et... See more
In my previous life as an Australian physiotherapist I spent some time working for the British military. Believe me, there is a difference between Australian English and British English (learnt the hard, but funny way). A few examples: "Sir, please wear your thongs to the hydrotherapy pool so that you don´t get tinea" (thong = flipflops in Oz, dental floss-like underwear in the UK), "Sir, please take off your pants so that I can look at your knee" (pants=trousers in Oz, underwear in the UK), etc, etc. I´ve never been to NZ, but I´ve never come across any such problems speaking to people from NZ in my travels. It´s only their accent that sounds funny to me (yes, those vowels, see Tom´s message).Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fit for purpose Oct 24, 2012

I don't think there is much difference when it comes to formal texts, but journalistic and marketing language, for example, will probably need more local tweaking. I am quite happy translating into US English as long as I have at least one US English native speaker to check for Britishisms, but like anything else, the best bet is not to try doing it if you feel uncomfortable about it.

I mean, Ozzie vocabulary items like thongs, drongos, ockers and barbies aren't likely to come up in
... See more
I don't think there is much difference when it comes to formal texts, but journalistic and marketing language, for example, will probably need more local tweaking. I am quite happy translating into US English as long as I have at least one US English native speaker to check for Britishisms, but like anything else, the best bet is not to try doing it if you feel uncomfortable about it.

I mean, Ozzie vocabulary items like thongs, drongos, ockers and barbies aren't likely to come up in a manual for a solar power plant or a cement mixer...

[Edited at 2012-10-24 11:43 GMT]
Collapse

NataliaAnne
NataliaAnne  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:38
Portuguese to English
In general, the more formal the text, the fewer the differences Oct 24, 2012

I totally agree with Neilmac in that formal texts have fewer differences. I’m an Australian and translate mostly into UK English, with US English being the second most requested variant from my clients. I have never even once been asked to provide a text in Australian English, so I’d be interested to hear how often you get this request!

Even though I’m Australian, my English usage has always been somewhat ‘international’ as I travelled extensively as a child. Working as an
... See more
I totally agree with Neilmac in that formal texts have fewer differences. I’m an Australian and translate mostly into UK English, with US English being the second most requested variant from my clients. I have never even once been asked to provide a text in Australian English, so I’d be interested to hear how often you get this request!

Even though I’m Australian, my English usage has always been somewhat ‘international’ as I travelled extensively as a child. Working as an English teacher for many years and preparing students for exams in different countries then made me conscious of a lot of the differences between major English variants. However, when working I always make use of variant specific English dictionaries to double-check terms. Also, when I check terms by doing internet searches, I make sure that I look for sources for the particular target country.

Reflecting on what I’ve just said, it’s worth pointing out that legal texts probably have more differences than any other type of formal text, mainly due to the different legal systems. I was just looking at another post which provides a reference text for legal drafting and it has a useful table comparing criminal law terms from the US, UK, Canada and Australia.

http://www.proz.com/forum/legal/235852-guide_to_legal_drafting_in_english.html

As for the differences between Aussie and Kiwi English, I hardly notice anything at all, apart from the accent. Occasionally something comes up, but no more than it does anyway between Australian states or regions.
Collapse

Karen Henry
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 24, 2012

Thanks for all your comments, I found them all interesting, especially the video Tom which was good!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:38
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And what about.... Oct 24, 2012

karen henry wrote:

Thanks for all your comments, I found them all interesting, especially the video Tom which was good!

....South African English, ja?

Karen Henry
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes! Oct 24, 2012

I think she did quite well impersonating all those accents--but she couldn't do the Welsh one, mind you neither could I!

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:38
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
thongs Oct 25, 2012

I remember flip-flop sandals being called 'thongs' years ago (Canada) but now they're all called flipflops and 'thongs' refers to the skimpy underwear (knickers UK).

Åsa Campbell
Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:08
English to Swedish
Flip-flop Oct 25, 2012

sandals are still called thongs in Australia which made us laugh when we moved here from Scotland a few years ago!

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Beached Az Oct 25, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cPs2SzShNc

Karen Henry
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very funny! Oct 25, 2012

Thanks Olly!

I'll remember the thongs too!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between English UK, Australian and New Zealand

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »