Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oct 12, 2013

This mainly seems to be happening in American English.

I've noticed that the beautiful word "probably" has now been replaced with "likely".

This substitution produces an ugly result when placed in context (to my ears "I'll probably come tomorrow" sounds more mellifluous than "I'll likely come tomorrow").

Why has this happened? Any theories, you linguistics experts out there?

I'll probably never adopt this change myself because if I did, I wou
... See more

I've noticed that the beautiful word "probably" has now been replaced with "likely".

This substitution produces an ugly result when placed in context (to my ears "I'll probably come tomorrow" sounds more mellifluous than "I'll likely come tomorrow").

Why has this happened? Any theories, you linguistics experts out there?

I'll probably never adopt this change myself because if I did, I would have to say "I'll likely never adopt this change myself" and that's not likely to happen !
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
To my non-US ear Oct 12, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

To my non-native non-US ear, "likely" sounds friendlier than "probably". Or rather, "probably" sounds like it implies more uncertainty than "likely" does. I'm not saying that that is what I think the terms mean -- I'm just telling you what the sound that the terms make in my skull says to me.

Do I understand the grammar correctly that "likely" can (or should) only describe a noun, whereas "probably" can only describe a verb? You can use "probable" for a noun, but what would the form of "likely" be that one would have to use for a verb, then (if any)?

[Edited at 2013-10-12 09:40 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Difference Oct 12, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

To my non-native non-US ear, "likely" sounds friendlier than "probably". Or rather, "probably" sounds like it implies more uncertainty than "likely" does. I'm not saying that that is what I think the terms mean -- I'm just telling you what the sound that the terms make in my skull says to me.

Do I understand the grammar correctly that "likely" can (or should) only describe a noun, whereas "probably" can only describe a verb? You can use "probable" for a noun, but what would the form of "likely" be that one would have to use for a verb, then (if any)?

[Edited at 2013-10-12 09:40 GMT]

Well - we're agreeing (I think) that there is a difference, and a significant one, in the meanings of the two words. What irks me is that (some) Americans seem to be conflating the two.

As for "likely" sounding more "friendly", that would depend. I don't know whether "I'm likely going to kill you" sounds more friendly than "I'm probably going to kill you". That would be debatable.

My own (questionable) theory is that it has something to do with the fact that in American English, thanks to Internet-speak, "probably" was degraded into the childish "prolly" and that now the new (mis)usage of "likely" is somehow a consequence of that. But I could be wrong (and prolly am).

[Edited at 2013-10-12 09:52 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Fashion Oct 12, 2013

I think the widespread preference for "likely" over "probably" is part of the fashion for adopting Americanisms generally, perhaps (probably?) because they sound more dashing and exciting to our British ears - consider the almost complete disappearance of "railway station" in favour (favor?) of "train station".
I find it all a bit annoying but I know there is no point in railing against changes in usage - 'twas ever thus.
J

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm Oct 12, 2013

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I think the widespread preference for "likely" over "probably" is part of the fashion for adopting Americanisms generally, perhaps (probably?) because they sound more dashing and exciting to our British ears - consider the almost complete disappearance of "railway station" in favour (favor?) of "train station".
I find it all a bit annoying but I know there is no point in railing against changes in usage - 'twas ever thus.
J

I fear you overestimate the power of American English to degrade British English, as though British English were weak and American English strong. I don't think it's like that at all.

And I don't find Americans "dashing and exciting" or as they might put it "cool and awesome" (pronounced "ah-some").

[Edited at 2013-10-12 10:20 GMT]

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:54
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Likely vs. most likely Oct 12, 2013

Samuel wrote

As a US EN native, I'd say that you've got it right. I'd never use "likely" for "probably" in the examples Tom mentions, or elsewhere for that matter, and it just sounds wrong. However, I don't even think it's especially common in American English use to "likely" - on its own - as an adverb, so I'm not so sure that the Americans are to really to blame for this development.

However, the adverbial combination "most likely" seems to be extremely common ("We'll most likely just stay in tonight and watch a DVD").

Tom in London wrote:
My own (questionable) theory is that it has something to do with the fact that in American English, thanks to Internet-speak, "probably" was degraded into the childish "prolly" and that now the new (mis)usage of "likely" is somehow a consequence of that. But I could be wrong (and prolly am).

[Edited at 2013-10-12 09:52 GMT]

In writing or speech? I've never seen anyone write it as prolly, even casually, but one could indeed argue that pronunciation of the spoken form has degraded.

[Edited at 2013-10-12 10:34 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It's not only American Oct 12, 2013

When I was young, "hopefully" just meant anticipating something good. Now it is more often used like the German "hoffentlich" - "Hopefully I'll come tomorrow" doesn't mean I am going to turn up tomorrow full of joy and eager anticipation, it means "I hope I'll be able to come tomorrow".

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Prolly Oct 12, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

.......(snip) I've never seen anyone write it as prolly, even casually, but one could indeed argue that pronunciation of the spoken form has degraded.

I used to see "prolly" written by Americans ("Murcans") all the time when I was an IRC addict.....a long time ago...

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
Isn't likely likelier? Oct 12, 2013

Canadian here. (Lexical middle child?) If I am likely to do something, it is almost 100% certain. As for "prolly", are you sure it was a North American using it? It's not related to "brolly"? I've never heard or read it on either side of the pond.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I've also never seen or heard 'prolly' used by anyone Oct 12, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

.......(snip) I've never seen anyone write it as prolly, even casually, but one could indeed argue that pronunciation of the spoken form has degraded.

I used to see "prolly" written by Americans ("Murcans") all the time when I was an IRC addict.....a long time ago...

Sometimes "Murcanisms" are actually throwbacks to ye olde English that remained on the continent after the Brits decided to pull out and return home...... will a bit of persuasion from the "Murcans" of course. And some "Murcanisms" are there as a result of Irish influences.
As for the beautiful word probably being replaced by likely, it probably could happen but it's not likely.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Disappearing words Oct 12, 2013

Jenny Forbes wrote:

(snip) consider the almost complete disappearance of "railway station" in favour (favor?) of "train station".

Words that seem to have succumbed:

"Mortuary" replaced by "morgue".
"Lorry" replaced by "truck".
"Chemist's shop" replaced by "Pharmacy"

Etc.

But I refuse to abandon "probably".

[Edited at 2013-10-12 11:13 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Where did you hear it, Tom? Oct 12, 2013

It is not that common, at least not in my area, or even on TV. "Most likely" -- yes, but not "likely". "I will most likely come tomorrow." "Likely" sounds strange to me as well, but different people like different expressions. "I am not likely to do it" -- but this would be a different use.

I think "most likely" in this type of construction has been around both in British and American English for as long as I remember -- like about forty years (possibly for centuries). If someo
... See more
It is not that common, at least not in my area, or even on TV. "Most likely" -- yes, but not "likely". "I will most likely come tomorrow." "Likely" sounds strange to me as well, but different people like different expressions. "I am not likely to do it" -- but this would be a different use.

I think "most likely" in this type of construction has been around both in British and American English for as long as I remember -- like about forty years (possibly for centuries). If someone uses just "likely" -- it might be a shortened form, in my opinion from "most likely" Whether you like it or not, might be a different story.

[Edited at 2013-10-12 11:44 GMT]
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 20:54
Swedish to English
Usage you know Oct 12, 2013

Usage takes over more and more words, under the theme "Anything goes..."

Alternative is no longer alternative, it can mean options.
Unique is now often a question of more or less unique.
A bilge pump is no longer only a bilge pump.
And so on and so forward(?).

When is a kiss not a kiss?

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Semantically similar, syntactically different Oct 12, 2013

probably
adverb
/ˈprɒb.ə.bli/ US /ˈprɑː.bə-/
used to mean that something is very likely: I'll probably be home by midnight. I'm probably going - it depends on the weather. He probably didn't even notice. Probably the best thing to do is to call them before you go.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/probably

... See more
probably
adverb
/ˈprɒb.ə.bli/ US /ˈprɑː.bə-/
used to mean that something is very likely: I'll probably be home by midnight. I'm probably going - it depends on the weather. He probably didn't even notice. Probably the best thing to do is to call them before you go.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/probably

likely
adjective
/ˈlaɪ.kli/
describes something that will probably happen or is expected: Do remind me because I'm likely to forget. What's the likely outcome of this whole business? I suppose that might happen but it's not very likely.
[+ that] It's quite likely that we'll be in Spain this time next year.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/likely_1?q=likely

When "likely" is used as an adverb convention has it that it be used with another modifier (most, more, very, not).

I don't think there is a vast difference in semantic meaning between the two, that's why people use them interchangeably. I don't see a massive difference between:

I probably won't forget the number

and

I'm not likely to forget the number

The following link has some interesting things to say about it:
http://www.cjr.org/language_corner/probably_likely.php

and....

https://elt.oup.com/student/englishfile/upperint/e_minigrammar/nef_upperint_minigrammar03?cc=gb&selLanguage=en (I scored 6/6!)

....but much of this is just prescriptivist rambling, if these two words are to merge and/or become almost* completely interchangeable, then so be it.

*I say almost because I can't see them becoming 100% interchangeable any time soon, with one word answers I would most certainly use "probably" as "likely" sounds quite odd to me as a one word answer (but note: as a two-word answer ('most likely' or 'not likely' it's fine)

[Edited at 2013-10-12 12:00 GMT]
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:54
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
We know how to pronounce "awesome" Oct 12, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

"awesome" (pronounced "ah-some").

???
We pronounce awesome "awe-some". Nobody says "ah-some", which would probably sound unnaturally nasal.
Perhaps you were listening to some bad movie or TV imitation of a New England accent.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When did "probably" become "likely?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »