Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Does a language stop evolving if it's over-reliant on loanwords?
Thread poster: Zolboo Batbold
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:39
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree, although..... Dec 8, 2021

...words are often borrowed from another language but because of incomprehension or (frequently) ignorance, their original meaning is changed to something completely different.

Daryo
expressisverbis
Adieu

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:39
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Just my luck! Dec 8, 2021

Mario Cerutti wrote:

This is why I fear that in a not so distant future the Japanese might start speaking like this:

ザ・ジャパニース・ドリンク・ツウ・マッチ, to be read za japanīzu dorinku tsū macchi, the "evolved" Japanese version of "The Japanese drink too much".

I've started to study Japanese this August and, so far, I'm very enthusiastic about it. I didn't think it would be possible for me to learn such a difficult language at my age, and enjoy it so much.

Therefore, I don't look forward to a future when – after having finally learnt to read and write kanji with great effort (plus hiragana and katakana) – I could find myself dealing with Ninglish, an abomination of neither English, nor 日本語 (nihongo, Japanese language).

In order to avoid this, I'm bringing my very small contribution to the preservation of Japanese, by introducing new idioms in my everyday conversations: at every meal, I wish my family bon appétit with いただきます (itadakimasu, lit. "I receive this food", but it has a much more profound meaning), announce that I'm back home, yelling ただいま (tadaima), and say "no" politely with my personal favourite – すみません ちょとう (sumimasen, chotto).

Fear not, o Land of the Rising Sun, I'm coming to your rescue!

Mario Cerutti
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Barbara Carrara
Tom in London
Lingua 5B
expressisverbis

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
You don't need to study Japanese for that Dec 8, 2021

Plenty of 13yo anime addicts have doing this for decades now

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

In order to avoid this, I'm bringing my very small contribution to the preservation of Japanese, by introducing new idioms in my everyday conversations: at every meal, I wish my family bon appétit with いただきます (itadakimasu, lit. "I receive this food", but it has a much more profound meaning), announce that I'm back home, yelling ただいま (tadaima), and say "no" politely with my personal favourite – すみません ちょとう (sumimasen, chotto).

[Edited at 2021-12-08 17:29 GMT]

Mario Cerutti

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:39
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Hurry up, please! Dec 9, 2021

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

Is bon appétit normally used in The Netherlands? I ask because you can hear many people here in Japan say bon appétit (ボナペチ) instead of the more charming itadakimasu.

Just hurry up, please!

P.L.F. Persio

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Itadakimasu. Dec 10, 2021

I hear itadakimasu a lot when I watch recipes by Japanese chefs on Youtube, so much so that I started using it myself. We have an equivalent of “bon appétit” in my language loosely translated as “enjoy your meal” but I think “itadakimasu” is a bit different and more ceremonial.

I am not sure whether bon appétit has an equivalent in Dutch, but in Japan it may have arrived through the influence of French/European cuisine.

P.L.F. Persio

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:39
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Why do we always have to put in a new title here??? Dec 10, 2021

Lingua 5B wrote:
I am not sure whether bon appétit has an equivalent in Dutch, but in Japan it may have arrived through the influence of French/European cuisine.

I don't really think so. It's just become fashionable among "advanced and cultured" Japanese people, and many (I swear) don't even know from what language it comes.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 00:39
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I can agree, but... Dec 10, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

...words are often borrowed from another language but because of incomprehension or (frequently) ignorance, their original meaning is changed to something completely different.

... I believe it depends on the influence that one language may exert on another. By assimilating culture, we can use foreign words with little or no modification at all.
Here, for example, the Iberian Peninsula, has been profoundly affected by Arabic culture, and this influence can still be seen today in our vocabulary and architecture.
We still use almost the same pronunciation and the literal meaning in words like "açúcar", the Portuguese word for sugar, which originates from the Arabic "assukkar", and "oxalá" ("insh'allah") which means "would to God", and many more.

[Edited at 2021-12-10 21:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-12-10 21:39 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
I'm trying really hard, Mario! Dec 11, 2021

[quote]Mario Cerutti wrote:

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

Is bon appétit normally used in The Netherlands? I ask because you can hear many people here in Japan say bon appétit (ボナペチ) instead of the more charming itadakimasu.

Just hurry up, please!

I've used bon appétit only because everybody in the world understands it, just like merci. In the Netherlands, they say eet smakelijk, but I've noticed that in Limburg – the Southern region with Maastricht, close to the Belgian border – they often pepper their conversations with French terms.

Mario, I'm doing the best I can here, but you know that it's not easy: still 2,136 kanji, or even more to go for me. But I hear you, so let's unite in the struggle for a Japanese language that retains all of its original, weird and wonderful flavours.

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does a language stop evolving if it's over-reliant on loanwords?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »