Abdul Katawazai
Abdul Katawazai
Canada
Local time: 09:00
English to Dari
+ ...
Feb 19, 2007

Hello,

I translate into Pashto which is a undeveloped language. Plus there is very little help available . Can anyone advise on where to find information on creating new terms in such languages.

Thanks,

Mohammad

László Kovács
László Kovács  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What do you mean be creating new terms? Feb 19, 2007

When I don't find a suitable term in my language, I just create one. I make a mini-survey among my collegues and friends, and simply write it in the translations. Some terms are successful and become widespread, some are not so successful and later on I find an alternative (created by someone else). I don't think that there is a kind of authority where all new term proposals should be submitted

Abdul Katawazai
Abdul Katawazai
Canada
English to Dari
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thats what I mean Feb 19, 2007

Thanks for the reply,

I exactly mean what you doing in your own language. What I am looking for is information about the art or sciences of creating new terms not approving. I mean there should some rules or tips on how to best create new terms.

abufaraz
abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 20:00
English to Urdu
+ ...
It is not only Pashto Feb 19, 2007

in which you face the shortage of words. There are many other languages as well having the same problem. While translating in Urdu I am also sometimes stuck and, despite consulting various dictionaries (including online ones), can't find a proper single word synonym and often, I have to contend upon not so attractive syntax. Sometimes, I have to substitute with Farsi, Arabic , Hindi or English words.

I think, the lexicography still needs a lot of development in these languages. The
... See more
in which you face the shortage of words. There are many other languages as well having the same problem. While translating in Urdu I am also sometimes stuck and, despite consulting various dictionaries (including online ones), can't find a proper single word synonym and often, I have to contend upon not so attractive syntax. Sometimes, I have to substitute with Farsi, Arabic , Hindi or English words.

I think, the lexicography still needs a lot of development in these languages. The new terms , IMO, have to be created by ourselves (the translators) as and when the need arises and if rational, sensible, to the point and meaningful, these will gradually come in common use and be added to the dictionary ultimately.

Regards.
Collapse

László Kovács
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Just go ahead Feb 19, 2007

I cannot give you very useful tips My new terms are usually combinations of well-known terms and basic words. This way, the reader usually has some idea of the meaning at first sight, and the given term is easier to accept.
Sometimes the words are not new at all, but the way I use them and the meaning is a little bit different.

[Edited at 2007-02-19 06:34]

Kristin Strandenes (X)
Kristin Strandenes (X)  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Creating new terms Feb 19, 2007

Salaam Mohammed,
in Iceland they have long term experience with creating new terms for modern matters. The Icelandic language is the direct decendant of Old Norse and is now spoken only in Iceland, where there lives less than half a million people. Perhaps you could turn to the language department at the University in Reykjarvik and ask around there? Use your imagination, as suggested by other respondents, but pay attention to the rules of your language, especially perhaps how novelties so
... See more
Salaam Mohammed,
in Iceland they have long term experience with creating new terms for modern matters. The Icelandic language is the direct decendant of Old Norse and is now spoken only in Iceland, where there lives less than half a million people. Perhaps you could turn to the language department at the University in Reykjarvik and ask around there? Use your imagination, as suggested by other respondents, but pay attention to the rules of your language, especially perhaps how novelties sound and what else the neologism may be associated with. Perhaps you will find on this journey also that it is not your language that is undeveloped.
It is an art to create new words, terms and expressions. Wishing you success in protecting and developing Pashto.
Good luck to you.
Kristin Strandenes
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
words and terms Feb 19, 2007

Mohammad Khan wrote:

Hello,

I translate into Pashto which is a undeveloped language. Plus there is very little help available . Can anyone advise on where to find information on creating new terms in such languages.

Thanks,

Mohammad

The terminography and lexicology theories would probably be useful in guiding you in regard to coining new words. Terminography tends to refer to more technical and science words, and lexicography typically refers to dictionary making.

Obviously you don't want/need to study whole theories, but this is a first distinction to be drawn - is it a "word" (based on a lexeme) or is it a "term" (based on a concept), ie, does it/will it belong to 'everyday' language or 'special' language.

I had a quick look on the WWW using the keywords *** terminography lexicology words terms ***. This could be a place to start:-)

Key names in the terminography field (quite new) are Eugen Wüster and Budin & Wright. Lexicology is a far older science, so more developed.

[Edited at 2007-02-19 09:16]

[Edited at 2007-02-19 09:16]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:00
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It's not only the less common languages Feb 19, 2007

The French don't like their language being invaded by foreign words. The Académie Française has a "Commission générale de terminologie et néologie" to invent French terms to replace them. There is quite a lot on Google about this Commission and its work, but it's all in French. If you speak French, you may be able to find something there (Google will "translate" these pages for you but the results are horrible).

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it possible? Feb 19, 2007

László Kovács wrote:

When I don't find a suitable term in my language, I just create one. I make a mini-survey among my collegues and friends, and simply write it in the translations. Some terms are successful and become widespread, some are not so successful and later on I find an alternative (created by someone else). I don't think that there is a kind of authority where all new term proposals should be submitted

Hi, Lászlo.

Is it possible in your language? I think that's not so easy in Spanish because new terms have to be accepted by the RAE (Real Academia de la Lengua Española) www.rae.es

Isn't any entity in Hungary to review these new terms?

Abdul Katawazai
Abdul Katawazai
Canada
English to Dari
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 19, 2007

Thanks all

I think there are so many others on the same boat. It is encouraging and now I feel like I have to somehow deal with the issue as everyone one else is doing.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:00
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Also some comatose (though not quite dead) languages Feb 19, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:
The Académie Française has a "Commission générale de terminologie et néologie" to invent French terms to replace them.

I seem to recall hearing that the Vatican has an office in charge of figuring how to say things like "digital TV recorder" in Church Latin.

László Kovács
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It's possible, if the client accepts Feb 20, 2007

Yaotl Altan wrote:

László Kovács wrote:

Hi, Lászlo.

Is it possible in your language? I think that's not so easy in Spanish because new terms have to be accepted by the RAE (Real Academia de la Lengua Española) www.rae.es

Isn't any entity in Hungary to review these new terms?

Well, you can ask Hungarian Academy of Sciences about the new term, but it's not required (as far as I know).
It sounds strange to me that you need to get your new terms approved by some entity. I think that language (and language usage) should be a "free" kind of thing. If my clients and the intended audience feels that a given new term (does not always mean a new word) is useful, they start using it, and may even be included in next great dictionary of Hungarian language. But no entitiy can prohibit using a new term in my translations.

[Edited at 2007-02-20 01:31]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

creating new terms

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »