How to do a word count using Trados Tag Editor (5.5)
Thread poster: cailin
cailin
cailin
German to English
+ ...
May 2, 2003

Hi all,

I have Trados Freelance 5.5 and am just about to start using the Tag Editor tool to translate HTML. Does anyone know how I could/should go about carrying out a word count of the web site to be translated? Is there a function in the Tag Editor tool or do I have to have the content of the site in a database and count from there?

All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks ...
See more
Hi all,

I have Trados Freelance 5.5 and am just about to start using the Tag Editor tool to translate HTML. Does anyone know how I could/should go about carrying out a word count of the web site to be translated? Is there a function in the Tag Editor tool or do I have to have the content of the site in a database and count from there?

All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:44
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Analyse the in Workbench files prior to translation May 2, 2003

Workbench has an analysis function, which can handle HTML files too.

And that´s simply all.

Kind regards

Jerzy

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 10:44
German to English
+ ...
Or check the clean-up figures May 2, 2003

If you need a word count for target words, then check the word count given in the lower right of the clean up window once you\'ve cleaned the files or the clean-up log file.

HTH

Alison

cailin
cailin
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Certain tags included in the word count??? May 4, 2003

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies! I have done as you suggested for the source word count (i.e. used the analysis function in the Tag Editor tool) but I have noticed that the word count is over double the number of words I can see and have counted on the original web site homepage. The only explanaion I can find is that it seems to include HTML code in the actual word count. As I set about translating the web page TagEditor didn\'t automatically copy certain types of tags s
... See more
Hi again,

Thanks for your replies! I have done as you suggested for the source word count (i.e. used the analysis function in the Tag Editor tool) but I have noticed that the word count is over double the number of words I can see and have counted on the original web site homepage. The only explanaion I can find is that it seems to include HTML code in the actual word count. As I set about translating the web page TagEditor didn\'t automatically copy certain types of tags such as #ffffff or ../IMAGE/ (even font names such as Arial, Helvetica etc.) and I had to actually copy such data into my translation. Is this not strange? Getting back to the word count, might it be possible that certain words are hidden from what a regular viewer is able to see from Internet Explorer and that is why the system counts twice much as I?

I\'m trying to prepare an estimate for a client and so far have come up with very different word counts (using TagEditor was one method and the other was to count the words in the web site content database in Word... and as I said there was a difference of thousands of words!)

If anyone knows how to get around this problem (of including font types and image locations in the word count - just to add that I have the manual and I\'ve followed all the tag protection steps etc.) I would greatly appreciate some words of advice.

While we\'re on the subject, I was wondering what systems other translators use to provide quotes for the translation of web sites (do you copy and paste the text into Word and count from there? charge extra for HTML? use tools such as TagEditor and include some tags in the word count???).

Thanks again!!

Cailin.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to do a word count using Trados Tag Editor (5.5)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »