Autor de la hebra: Ilze Klotina
Ilze Klotina
Ilze Klotina
Letonia
Local time: 22:35
japonés al letón
+ ...
Jul 29, 2011

I'm searching for a new CAT tool. Today I downloaded the demo version of MemoQ. It seems quite easy to use, but when I tried to open a sample source file, a warning appeared saying that it can not open Word on my computer. I don't have Word, because I am using Open Office. Software description in the MemoQ homepage tells that it can work with Open Office files, however, at the same time, it is required to have MS Word installed. So I don't understand - does it work only with Word? Usually I save... See more
I'm searching for a new CAT tool. Today I downloaded the demo version of MemoQ. It seems quite easy to use, but when I tried to open a sample source file, a warning appeared saying that it can not open Word on my computer. I don't have Word, because I am using Open Office. Software description in the MemoQ homepage tells that it can work with Open Office files, however, at the same time, it is required to have MS Word installed. So I don't understand - does it work only with Word? Usually I save my .odt files in .doc format, as most of my clients have only MS Word. But it seems that format doesn't matter...Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 21:35
Miembro 2005
inglés al español
+ ...
Try this Jul 31, 2011

I don't have OpenOffice so I haven't tried this myself. You can see the solutions here:
- http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ/message/13901
- http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ/message/16885

Apparently OpenOffice files are (the same a
... See more
I don't have OpenOffice so I haven't tried this myself. You can see the solutions here:
- http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ/message/13901
- http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ/message/16885

Apparently OpenOffice files are (the same as in Office 2007 and leter) ZIP files containing XML files for the text.

1. Rename your OpenOffice file to the .zip extension.
2. Unzip de ZIP file.
3. Add the Contents.xml file to MemoQ as an XML file and translate it normally (you should see tags, which you must respect).
4. Extract the XML file to its location.
5. Rezip the whole set of files to a ZIP file and rename it to the OpenOffice extension.

This should do it. Give it try and tell us whether this worked with the different OpenOffice apps!
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
finlandés al francés
.odt should be supported natively in the latest version Jul 31, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
I don't have OpenOffice so I haven't tried this myself.

I don't have OpenOffice either, but in memoQ 5.0.18, the .odt format is listed when you select 'Add document'. So one should be able to open .odt files directly in memoQ.

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungría
Miembro 2009
inglés al húngaro
+ ...
memoQ can not work without MS Word Jul 31, 2011

Dear ilzeilze,

As far as I know, memoQ simply cannot work without MS Word. The translation grid itself is powered by MS Word.

This is exactly the same “catch 22” as with Trados .ttx files:
You can open and process Trados .ttx files with memoQ but you need to have a Trados license to pretranslate the file.
You can translate .odf files, but you need to have MS Office on your computer to run memoQ.

I also would be really happy if these depende
... See more
Dear ilzeilze,

As far as I know, memoQ simply cannot work without MS Word. The translation grid itself is powered by MS Word.

This is exactly the same “catch 22” as with Trados .ttx files:
You can open and process Trados .ttx files with memoQ but you need to have a Trados license to pretranslate the file.
You can translate .odf files, but you need to have MS Office on your computer to run memoQ.

I also would be really happy if these dependecies will be resolved in the future.

Kind regards,

Gyula
Collapse

España
Miembro 2005
inglés al español
+ ...
Wrong! Jul 31, 2011

Gyula Erdész wrote:

Maybe this is something for Kilgray's people to answer, but in my opinion this is completely wrong!!

Kilgray's manual for memoQ 4.5, which you can read here clearly states that Microsoft Office is not required to work with .RTF, .DOCX, and .PPTX files.

Of course you need MS Office to work with MS Office files, but that should not be surprising, should it? Where did you get this idea that the translation grid is powered by MS Word? Please explain.

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungría
Miembro 2009
inglés al húngaro
+ ...
I need to revise my previous post... Jul 31, 2011

Dear Tomás,

Thank you for your reply and your attention. I was wrong in my previous post. The operation of Translation Grid is NOT based on MS Word, so you do not need MS Word to run memoQ. Sory for my inconsiderate post.

On the other hand, MS Word is definitely needed for the following processes:

-To import certain MS office files (.ppt, .doc and .rtf). These file types are simply not importable without MS Office.
-To create preview for certain MS o
... See more
Dear Tomás,

Thank you for your reply and your attention. I was wrong in my previous post. The operation of Translation Grid is NOT based on MS Word, so you do not need MS Word to run memoQ. Sory for my inconsiderate post.

On the other hand, MS Word is definitely needed for the following processes:

-To import certain MS office files (.ppt, .doc and .rtf). These file types are simply not importable without MS Office.
-To create preview for certain MS office files (.rtf, .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx and .xls)
-To spell check the target segments (as an option you can use Hunspell dictionaries as well)

Turning back to the initial question of ilzeilze:

MemoQ needs MS Office to open .doc files because the software saves the file as .rtf using Word in the background On the following link you can read the related comment of Gergely Vándor, lifecycle manager of memoQ:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ/message/13896

And one more comment on Tomás's last thought:
Maybe my imagination is too vivid, but I can imagine a CAT tool that is able to process Microsoft files without having MS Office on you PC. Just think of memoQ and its superb Transit compatibility. You do not need Transit to process a Transit NXT package in memoQ (that was the reason why I sold my Transit NXT license).

In my opinion, the ability to process a file in a CAT tool and the fact that the related source software is installed or not are not necessarily linked to each other.

Kind regards,

Gyula

[Módosítva: 2011-07-31 16:58 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2011-07-31 17:19 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Miembro 2006
inglés al afrikaans
+ ...
Not "of course" Jul 31, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Of course you need MS Office to work with MS Office files, but that should not be surprising, should it?

Actually, unless it is specifically mentioned by a CAT tool's documentation (e.g. web site) that a certain program needs to be installed for that tool to work with that program's document format, I would always assume that having it installed is not necessary.

It is not "of course" to me that one would need to have MS Word installed to make a CAT tool capable of dealing with MS Word files -- rather, the opposite would be "of course" in my opinion (unless indicated otherwise). In fact, I'm inclined to suspect that a CAT tool that can only handle a format if that format's own program is installed, might be a little half-baked.

España
Miembro 2005
inglés al español
+ ...
I agree Jul 31, 2011

Gyula Erdész wrote:
And one more comment on Tomás's last thought:
Maybe my imagination is too vivid, but I can imagine a CAT tool that is able to process Microsoft files without having MS Office on you PC. Just think of memoQ and its superb Transit compatibility. You do not need Transit to process a Transit NXT package in memoQ (that was the reason why I sold my Transit NXT license).

Absolutely. I completely agree. It is good that Office is not needed for the XML/Zipped formats, like DOCX, XLSX, and PPTX, although of course you will need MS Office if you need to do any other tasks on the files outside memoQ (like formatting after translation, for instance).

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Polonia
Miembro 2004
inglés al polaco
LOCALIZADOR DEL SITIO
Reinventing the wheel Jul 31, 2011

Adding independent Office filters when most users already have MS Office on their computer would be, in my opinion, a terrible waste of resources. After all, those are binary files, not very well documented, if I am correct. That would mean that it would require a lot of developer time and effort which would be much better spent elsewhere. If you already have the (almost) perfect filter engine, why pay twice for the same functionality?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
finlandés al francés
.odt is already supported by memoQ Jul 31, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:
Adding independent Office filters when most users already have MS Office on their computer would be, in my opinion, a terrible waste of resources.

The .odt format (WordProcessor of OpenOffice) is already supported by memoQ. See http://kilgray.com/products/memoq/formats-and-languages

Jabberwock wrote:
After all, those are binary files, not very well documented, if I am correct.

The container is binary (like DOCX), but it's XML inside (like DOCX). AFAIK, it's very well documented, it's even an ISO standard. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open Office with MemoQ

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »