Disabling confirmation dialogs for every tiny operation
Thread poster: tvshc
Aug 19, 2011

Is there a way to disable the confirmation dialogs that pop up for every tiny thing I do in memoQ? I have several projects in parallel and I need to click "OK" so many times per day it's just annoying.
"Do you really want to close this project?" - Well of course, that's why I clicked close
Do you really want to do this? Do you really want to do that? It's just annoying and makes working fast impossible.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:38
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Report it to Kilgray Aug 20, 2011

You should definitely report this to Kilgray so that reconsider this for future releases. I entirely agree with what you are saying here and have reported it to Kilgray already.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:38
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Too many pop-ups = too much frustration Aug 20, 2011

Yes, I also believe that there are too many dialog boxes in memoQ which I almost never read, because they are not informative at all. Even all error messages appear as "General errors", so what's the point of popping up a dialog box? Just send the report automatically to Kilgray, if you've got no useful information for me. I don't care to know that an error is a "General error"; I want to know if there's anything I could try doing to circumvent the problem.

For example, when I tried
... See more
Yes, I also believe that there are too many dialog boxes in memoQ which I almost never read, because they are not informative at all. Even all error messages appear as "General errors", so what's the point of popping up a dialog box? Just send the report automatically to Kilgray, if you've got no useful information for me. I don't care to know that an error is a "General error"; I want to know if there's anything I could try doing to circumvent the problem.

For example, when I tried to import a bilingual using the "Import/update bilingual" the other day, I got a "General error" with the usual mumbo-jumbo in it, which I had to copy, paste and send to Kilgray myself. Instead of that, the error message should have advised me to try to import the bilingual file using the "Add document..." command, which was the solution to my problem.

Non-informative error messages can only get users frustrated and make them think of switching to another CAT tool (not that there's anything better than memoQ at the moment, but...).

[Edited at 2011-08-20 07:43 GMT]
Collapse

Ilhan Gadis

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:38
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Inform Kilgray in all cases! Aug 20, 2011

Kilgray pay a lot of attention to bug and error reports from users, and usually get them fixed in one or at most two releases, i.e. in a few days. I strongly encourage everyone to report any bugs noticed, or any confusing operation which leads to an error that could be avoided with clearer instructions.

tvshc
tvshc
TOPIC STARTER
answer Aug 23, 2011

well, at least it's not just me. And yes, I stick to memoQ because there's currently no viable alternative and apart from the little flaws I actually like it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disabling confirmation dialogs for every tiny operation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »