Thread poster: Susan van den Ende
Susan van den Ende
Susan van den Ende  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 20, 2009

I regularly find myself looking for translators in the US, not because I like the accent that much, but because their day is just beginning while their colleagues in Europe are already calling it a day - which can be handy with the occasional tight deadline. But of course, that does leave out quite a few translators who would have the same advantage but who don't live in the US.

Hence my question, is it somehow possible to sort by time zone rather than / as well as by country?
... See more
I regularly find myself looking for translators in the US, not because I like the accent that much, but because their day is just beginning while their colleagues in Europe are already calling it a day - which can be handy with the occasional tight deadline. But of course, that does leave out quite a few translators who would have the same advantage but who don't live in the US.

Hence my question, is it somehow possible to sort by time zone rather than / as well as by country?

Warm regards,

Susan
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not really in favour Jul 20, 2009

You do know that ProZ gives the option to keep the time zone private in your profile? Where would translators choosing that option be displayed in this case?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your progressive view in this matter, but some more old-fashioned clients even see it as a disadvantage when somebody is not living within your own country, let alone in another time zone. So whatever staff decides here, have nobody discriminated here.

Susan van den Ende
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not aware Jul 20, 2009

Hi Wolfgang,

No, I was not aware of this... but then again, I assume that you can also keep your location private? That would mean you would not be displayed among the "US" search results either, I think. Or is there an option for translators to tick that allows Proz to include them in a location-based search, without displaying the location?

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
It's your choice. Jul 20, 2009

I think all these parametres can be made public, shown to outsourcers only or be hidden from everyone.
I know it is possible for outsourcers to search by country, i do not know if they can search by time zone. But I definitely think it would be interesting.
I have quite a few customers who appreciate the fact that I can work when Europe and the US are still asleep.

Susan van den Ende
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Less exclusive then? Jul 20, 2009

Hmz, in that case, I think that sorting by time zone would actually be *less* exclusive than sorting by country.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:49
Flemish to English
+ ...
Sort translators by possible amount of profit to be made... Jul 20, 2009

From expensive to cheap you mean. Whatever his/her rate, a translator based in the Americas will generate greater profit ($/€ rate) to a European agency than a translator based in Europe.

Susan van den Ende
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ehrm, not exactly Jul 20, 2009

Ah, yes, of course. That must be why I also want to include translators who are just as likely to quote in Canadian dollars...

If I merely want to profit from the exchange rate, I can simply look for US-based translators (half of whom actually quote in Euros at the same rates their European colleagues are asking, to profit from the exchange rate) and have no need whatsoever to broaden my search to include Canada and South America.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:49
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great Jul 20, 2009

It seems a great idea, Susan. I support it.

Alejandra Villarroel
Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Does a time zone really reflect a "shift" in the particular world of translators? Jul 20, 2009

Hi Susan,

Most of my local colleagues work as if they lived in a different time zone for a number of reasons, from their very special sleeping habits to having a regular part-time time job and freelancing after that. And I don't think that Chilean translators are the only ones in the industry who are following these rather "unusual" work schedules.

Maybe your idea needs some fine tuning, but it seems to be a good one.

ALEJANDRA

Susan van den Ende
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Flexible hours Jul 20, 2009

Hi Alejandra,

Indeed I know quite a few translators who've adopted some special sleeping habits But in general, many translators still seem to prefer being contacted when it's day, even if they work on the job in the evening / at night - at least judging from my own experience.

I'm thinking about an option that would say something along the lines of "include translators with a time difference of -XX to -X
... See more
Hi Alejandra,

Indeed I know quite a few translators who've adopted some special sleeping habits But in general, many translators still seem to prefer being contacted when it's day, even if they work on the job in the evening / at night - at least judging from my own experience.

I'm thinking about an option that would say something along the lines of "include translators with a time difference of -XX to -XX hours / who are XX to XX hours behind you". Especially with an ESEN job for instance, that would make it a lot easier to include translators in South America in the search results.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:49
Flemish to English
+ ...
Exchange rate Jul 20, 2009

Susan van den Ende wrote:

Ah, yes, of course. That must be why I also want to include translators who are just as likely to quote in Canadian dollars...

If I merely want to profit from the exchange rate, I can simply look for US-based translators (half of whom actually quote in Euros at the same rates their European colleagues are asking, to profit from the exchange rate) and have no need whatsoever to broaden my search to include Canada and South America.

Approximate current exchange rate :

1 €=1.45$.
1 €=1.55 CAD$

[Edited at 2009-07-20 19:40 GMT]

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
Mmm Jul 20, 2009

Surely it is just a question of knowing your geography?

There are several different time-zones in the USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America and South America share most of them, while there is only three hours difference between the most eastern part of Brazil and GMT.

Susan van den Ende
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exchange rate not the issue Jul 21, 2009

Williamson wrote:

Approximate current exchange rate :

1 €=1.45$.
1 €=1.55 CAD$

Dear Williamson,

I'm not talking about exchange rates or profits here. Like I already indicated, half of the translators in the US (or Canada or South America, for that matter) charge me in EUR anyway, at European rates. That way, they increase their profits, thanks to a favourable exchange rate. I'm not complaining about that, as long as I can get our client a quality translation in time.

I'm talking about increasing my chances of getting a job done.

Susan van den Ende
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Geography indeed! Jul 21, 2009

Lesley Clarke wrote:

Surely it is just a question of knowing your geography?

There are several different time-zones in the USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America and South America share most of them, while there is only three hours difference between the most eastern part of Brazil and GMT.

Indeed!!

But then as far as I'm aware, you can only sort by country at the moment, and you cannot select multiple countries in one search. So if you want to broaden your search so as to include all translators in a favourable time zone, you'd have to tick off countries one by one. Quite time-consuming and hence not practical, as I usually search for cooperation outside my own time zone if there's a tight deadline already.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
I see your point Susan Jul 21, 2009

And it is a good one.

As a translator located in Mexico, a feature like that would broaden my chances of job offers.

I hope you are taken up on it.

And, of course, we have a wide variety of translators here, not just in the Spanish-English field.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sort translators by time zone?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »