Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 23, 2009

G'day everyone

It seems to happen more and more that people use the topic subject as the first part of their message, and then writing the second part of their message in the body of their post. I have no problem with this, but it is annoying when I respond to such posts, because the first half of the first sentence in the quote is cut off.

So here's a suggestion: when a user replies using the "Quote" button, please include the topic subject in the quoted section (pos
... See more
G'day everyone

It seems to happen more and more that people use the topic subject as the first part of their message, and then writing the second part of their message in the body of their post. I have no problem with this, but it is annoying when I respond to such posts, because the first half of the first sentence in the quote is cut off.

So here's a suggestion: when a user replies using the "Quote" button, please include the topic subject in the quoted section (possibly in bold).

So if a forum user posted a reply like:

Subject: You should do X because...
Body: ... it makes sense to do it.

and I hit "Quote" to reply to it, I would like to see the following quoted:

John Smith wrote:
You should do X because...
... it makes sense to do it.

and not as is currently done:

John Smith wrote:
... it makes sense to do it.

What do you think?

Samuel
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:42
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Hmmm ... Oct 23, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
when a user replies using the "Quote" button, please include the topic subject in the quoted section (possibly in bold).

I can see what you mean, but I can't see that it would work.

There's nobody looking at each post to decide whether the title should be part of the quote, so it would have to be done for each and every quote, even if it's long and NOT a part of the post itself. Added to that, you can edit the quote as you like, anyway (although, of course, it could be unethical)

But I take your point and I'll try to think about the quotes people might want to use. In case you need it, here's the title for you to quote:- Hmmm ...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where to find the titles Oct 23, 2009

Sheila Wilson wrote:
It would have to be done for each and every quote, even if it's long and NOT a part of the post itself.

Yes. Remember, if you reply to a post that is not the most recent one, you can't see the post's title once you're on the Post Reply screen. If it is one of the more recent posts, you can scroll down to see what the subject text was. It also saves time because it's quicker to delete something you don't want than to retype something that you do want.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Include topic subject in reply

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »