USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
فنلندا
Local time: 01:22
أنجليزي إلى فنلندي
+ ...
"May be the case", and from a moderator? Sep 1, 2008

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

but it certailly is not an option to start with.

Dinny, if you can not reach any other website, I can Skype to you the Kaspersky Trial version, please contact me on by Skype

Thor Kottelin wrote:

If you have a virus or similar malware, the only safe means of recovery is to reinstall the operating system from scratch.

You advise continued online tinkering, as a cure for a virus?

Never mind. I give up on these forums now.

Thor, ten years of IS experience, two IS certifications

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
لاتفيا
عضو (2003)
أنجليزي إلى لاتيفي
+ ...
Option "format C:\ is never too late, is it? Sep 1, 2008

you can do it anytime, but until that there *ARE* other options to try.

Uldis

15 years at the computer, as it turned out, still can operate Win 3.11 (recently had an opportunity to do it )

Thor Kottelin wrote:
You advise continued online tinkering, as a cure for a virus?
Never mind. I give up on these forums now.
Thor, ten years of IS experience, two IS certifications

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
اليونان
إيطالي إلى دانماركي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
EXIT VIRUS :-) Sep 2, 2008

The time is 4:34 local Cretan time.
The "horse" is OUT

I tried the Kaspersky trial version several times, but it insisted that I still had AVG installed. I had checked for AVG files everywhere without finding anything, I made Windows search through the computer to find any AVG-related files but there were none.

Finally I gave up on Kaspersky and since my computer was now completely without antiviru
... See more
The time is 4:34 local Cretan time.
The "horse" is OUT

I tried the Kaspersky trial version several times, but it insisted that I still had AVG installed. I had checked for AVG files everywhere without finding anything, I made Windows search through the computer to find any AVG-related files but there were none.

Finally I gave up on Kaspersky and since my computer was now completely without antivirus protection I downloaded AVG again. Made a full scan of my computer. No threats were found. I decided that I might as well live without an antivirus protection which is not able to detect the virus.
I therefore went on to uninstall AVG once more.

Uldis suggested to try: Start-Run-Regedit-Local Computer-Software and to delete any AVG folder found. Bingo! There it was, ending immediately in the recycle bin.

Back to Kaspersky, I managed to use the free virus scan which resultet i 3 threats and 23 files infected. I then downloaded the trial version once more. The virus stopped the download half way through it, but I just started all over again, and next time I managed to get it all. After installing and rebooting, Kaspersky immediately threw the trojans into nowhere and I can now access all the websites just as I used to.

It goes without saying that LimeWire was the first thing I cancelled together with the three downloaded music files when I discovered the problem.

It's me and Kaspersky for ever from now on!

Thanks to everybody for trying to help me solve this huge problem - and a special thank you to Uldis for his invaluable help over Skype.

I think I will go to sleep now.

Dinny

P.S. The name of the Trojan was: win32.monder.gen

[Edited at 2008-09-02 01:50]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 23:22
روسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Getting rid of AVG Sep 2, 2008

I managed to get a computer expert to clear all traces of Norton AntiVirus off my computer a few months ago, & he replaced it with the free version of AVG. I got fed up with it because it kept reporting that it couldn't contact its own update server, so I uninstalled it and then searched for any residual files and deleted all I could of them, but there were some which could not be deleted. I then ran two registry cleaners (RegCure and Registry Mechanic), which cleaned up a lot of registry disc... See more
I managed to get a computer expert to clear all traces of Norton AntiVirus off my computer a few months ago, & he replaced it with the free version of AVG. I got fed up with it because it kept reporting that it couldn't contact its own update server, so I uninstalled it and then searched for any residual files and deleted all I could of them, but there were some which could not be deleted. I then ran two registry cleaners (RegCure and Registry Mechanic), which cleaned up a lot of registry discrepancies. I just tried searching for AVG files again, and there are now none left. So my registry cleaning may have had the same effect as the procedure you describe.
I am now using Eset NOD32 antivirus, which so far seems good.
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Well, Sep 2, 2008

it's good to hear you got it solved in the end, Dinny.

What I don't understand, though, is why your original anti-virus program didn't spot the corrupt LimeWire downloads in the first place...?

As for Norton, Jack - you virtually need a court order to get rid of that one! But they do actually provide a special uninstall program themselves to get of all traces of it.

I don't use and never have used AVG.

Currently I am using Avast! and I am happy
... See more
it's good to hear you got it solved in the end, Dinny.

What I don't understand, though, is why your original anti-virus program didn't spot the corrupt LimeWire downloads in the first place...?

As for Norton, Jack - you virtually need a court order to get rid of that one! But they do actually provide a special uninstall program themselves to get of all traces of it.

I don't use and never have used AVG.

Currently I am using Avast! and I am happy enough with it.
Collapse

JPW (X)
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Hi again... Sep 2, 2008

...I did a quick google search of the trojan name you posted Dinny and came across the following:

http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threatdisplay.aspx?name=Trojan.Win32.Monder.gen&threatid=245957

It seems to be a particularly mailicious type of trojan, so you might want to have a look at all the file traces p
... See more
...I did a quick google search of the trojan name you posted Dinny and came across the following:

http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threatdisplay.aspx?name=Trojan.Win32.Monder.gen&threatid=245957

It seems to be a particularly mailicious type of trojan, so you might want to have a look at all the file traces posted on that website or do a scan with Hijack this or Spybot search and destroy, just to make sure.

After you've caught up on some sleep of course.
Collapse

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
اليونان
إيطالي إلى دانماركي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Thanks, John! Sep 2, 2008

Will check out the link later on - after some sleep. It is too risky to fiddle with this stuff if you are not totally awake and alert!

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
بيرو
Local time: 17:22
عضو
إسباني
+ ...
System Restore Sep 2, 2008

Windows has a System Restore feature that can roll back all your settings to an earlier point. So you'd need to choose a point before your computer was infected. I don't know what OS you have, in Vista, you just need to start typing 'restore' to open it. Then select the date. XP should have that feature too, but I don't really know to open it.

Here's from the Help files:

What is System Restore?

System Restore helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. It's a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e‑mail, documents, or photos.

Sometimes, the installation of a program or a driver can cause an unexpected change to your computer or cause Windows to behave unpredictably. Usually, uninstalling the program or driver corrects the problem. If uninstalling does not fix the problem, you can try restoring your computer's system to an earlier date when everything worked correctly.

System Restore uses a feature called System Protection to regularly create and save restore points on your computer. These restore points contain information about registry settings and other system information that Windows uses. You can also create restore points manually.

System Restore is not intended for backing up personal files, so it cannot help you recover a personal file that has been deleted or damaged. You should regularly back up your personal files and important data using a backup program.

Click to open System Restore.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
اليونان
إيطالي إلى دانماركي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
It was blocked, too Sep 2, 2008

Well, Claudia, I tried that almost right away, just to discover that the system restore was blocked at exactly the time when I got the virus. Clever people behind this stuff, right? If only they would put their geniously working minds to something useful...

JPW (X)
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
System Restore II Sep 2, 2008

I think the problem was that this particular trojan was so pernicious that it actually disabled his system restore and prevented it from operating normally - that's what these things do. The people that invent them are not novices at this sort of thing.

Windows has a System Restore feature that can roll back all your settings to an earlier point. So you'd need to choose a point before your computer was infected. I don't know what OS you have, in Vista, you just need to start typing 'restore' to open it. Then select the date. XP should have that feature too, but I don't really know to open it.

"his system"

Beg pardon - her system!

[Edited at 2008-09-02 18:02]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
لاتفيا
عضو (2003)
أنجليزي إلى لاتيفي
+ ...
System Restore 3 Sep 2, 2008

Sadly it doesn't work on such cases. I had to reinstall the Windows on one of my computers just a few weeks ago because it crashed when 2 incompatible programs started a fight (Kaspersky and ZoneAlarm). System Restore (or Last Known Good Configuration that Worked) didn't work at all and I tried all possible- including Windows Repair from the installation disk - there is an option I didn't know about at all and I was guided through it by Kaspersky on-line phone support. Sadly, it too didn't work,... See more
Sadly it doesn't work on such cases. I had to reinstall the Windows on one of my computers just a few weeks ago because it crashed when 2 incompatible programs started a fight (Kaspersky and ZoneAlarm). System Restore (or Last Known Good Configuration that Worked) didn't work at all and I tried all possible- including Windows Repair from the installation disk - there is an option I didn't know about at all and I was guided through it by Kaspersky on-line phone support. Sadly, it too didn't work, the only thing I achieved was that even Safe Mode went dead. Now I installed on all my computers good old "GoBack" - hadn't done it before out of my laziness. GoBack restores your drive exactly to the state is was at the restore point (and does it before Windows has started to boot- therefore you can use it even if your Windows wouldn't start), which means you loose also all your changed/new docs, provided they are on the HDD you're reverting.

Uldis

Claudia Alvis wrote:
Windows has a System Restore feature that can roll back all your settings to an earlier point. So you'd need to choose a point before your computer was infected.
Collapse

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP please! My computer is infected...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »