What is happening on Indeed and Facebook?
Thread poster: Eduardo Lecea Elizondo
Eduardo Lecea Elizondo
Eduardo Lecea Elizondo  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:08
Member (2022)
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2022

I am a freelance translator and I also manage a translation company. I recently posted an ad on Indeed requesting freelance translators from other countries to join my company's translator team.

On the first day my ad was a success. Twenty-five freelance translators were interested in collaborating and submitted their resumes for review.

On the next day, when I tried to log in to Indeed page, I knew that Indeed suspended my account and I could not post anything more on
... See more
I am a freelance translator and I also manage a translation company. I recently posted an ad on Indeed requesting freelance translators from other countries to join my company's translator team.

On the first day my ad was a success. Twenty-five freelance translators were interested in collaborating and submitted their resumes for review.

On the next day, when I tried to log in to Indeed page, I knew that Indeed suspended my account and I could not post anything more on that platform. The explanation was: “Your account does not comply with Indeed's policies.” As much as I reviewed the policies, I could not find anything that was against them. I submitted an appeal and they promised to respond by e-mail within 48 hours. I did not receive a reply and again, requested reactivation. They responded that my account was not acceptable to Indeed and that this decision was final.

Something similar is happening to me with Facebook.

In my Meta account I created two pages for my company. One for the head office in Brazil and another for the branch in Mexico. I paid for two ads that started to work very well, one targeting the Mexican audience in Spanish and the other targeting the Brazilian audience in Portuguese.

Facebook suspended my account this morning. The reason was the same as on Indeed: "Your pages do not comply with the Facebook's policies."

I immediately went through their "policies,” and I could not find any violations.

I have already made an appeal. Before to send it, a pop-up window warning you about that the decision will be final.

All this leads me to think that these companies are no longer allowing micro-entrepreneurs to advertise or offer jobs from one country to another. Until recently, there was no problem in advertising or soliciting collaborators. Now, when you search for groups or people, they are limiting the results not only to your country, but also to the city or locality where you live.

What is happening? What is the reality behind this virtual "prison" that does not allow free communication outside your location?
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:08
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Possible hacking/misuse? Oct 11, 2022

Is it possible that your device is hacked, or has a virus and/or your login info to Indeed and Facebook (and possibly for other apps/sites) is used, without your knowledge for activities (such as spamming) that is indeed against their policies? (Sorry for the pun.)
There are many apps that allow you to use your Facebook login for their app, but some of them are fraudulent and their sole purpose is to steal your login info.

[Edited at 2022-10-11 11:50 GMT]

Dalia Nour

Jamy Balys
Jamy Balys
United States
Possible hacking/misuse? Feb 7, 2023

Sometimes it happens to Indeed and Facebook. That's too bad - it's never fun when something like this happens. I'm familiar with the situation - it's happened to me before, too.

Eduardo Lecea Elizondo

Traductrice_SG
Traductrice_SG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2016)
French to English
Two guesses regarding Facebook/Meta Feb 8, 2023

First - Facebook is weird about duplicate accounts, and they use an algorithm to detect duplicates, so you can't just use a different email and get away with it (already tried - not to catfish, just to keep my personal and business networking separate without having to tediously adjust the privacy settings). You absolutely cannot have multiple personal profiles, so if you used a second personal account to open the business pages, even if your other account was created years ago and barely used, ... See more
First - Facebook is weird about duplicate accounts, and they use an algorithm to detect duplicates, so you can't just use a different email and get away with it (already tried - not to catfish, just to keep my personal and business networking separate without having to tediously adjust the privacy settings). You absolutely cannot have multiple personal profiles, so if you used a second personal account to open the business pages, even if your other account was created years ago and barely used, or if the algorithm falsely suspects you of having a duplicate account because there's someone else with the same name and birthdate as you, it may have frozen your account for that reason. I'm not sure about the rules regarding duplicate business accounts, but they also may have decided that one of your business pages was spoofing the other due to similarities in the pages and frozen your whole account. Most of this detection is done via algorithm, not human eyes, so you may be automatically suspended even if it would be obvious to a person that you aren't doing anything sketchy.

My second thought is that you could have been reported by enough people to be automatically suspended without a human review (and thus without a concrete reason). Most of the translation agencies that advertise in public Facebook groups are scammers, so if you posted your jobs or services in any of those or if your paid ads automatically appeared in any of them, you may have been reported by overzealous people who assumed you were also a scammer. And as mentioned above, your account could have been hacked and used for spamming or other activity that was either reported by humans or detected by an algorithm.
Collapse

Eduardo Lecea Elizondo

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Facebook Feb 8, 2023

Welcome to the wonderful world of cancel culture. "Does not comply with community guidelines"; "does not provide context"; "does not fit the narrative"; etc., etc.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What is happening on Indeed and Facebook?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »