Christopher Smith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:05
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2013

Good evening all,

I am currently subtitling a roughly 100-minute film, and a script has not been provided.

My question is, would it be considered unprofessional to approach the production company directly and, after explaining the situation, ask them to provide the script? Should I ask permission to approach this production company from the company that provided me with the work in the first place?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A matter for negotiation Jan 28, 2013

Though it's completely irrelevant to you, checking the Brazilian Translators Syndicate suggested rates, it shows a visible trend:

Tradução para legendas com roteiro original completo (sem marcação de tempo) = R$ 23,00
Tradução para legendas sem roteiro original (sem marcação de tempo) = R$ 34,50

Translating that, it means they suggest charging 50% more per minute for translating subtitles when the original script is NOT provided.

My major concern in such cases is in regard to the spelling of proper nouns and, when a script is definitely not available, I ask the end-client to review the subtitles before I burn them.

My pet example, which always drives the message home, is the possibility of someone casually mentioning, say, Professor Zbigniew Wojechszlecki. Unless that name comes up written on the screen somewhere, whatever it sounds in English doesn't leave any clue for a proper Google search for the correct spelling. This may often happen with the company's product names, staff members, etc. What if the CEO's name is not spelled Jason, but Jaycen? Is that manager's name Tracy, Tracie, or Tracey? We'll have to WRITE that on the subs...

So they often welcome the chance to check these things to avoid a faux pas. If they can provide the script, so much the better, but often there isn't one available.

Christopher Smith
Spain
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, José Jan 28, 2013

I suspect that is the reason too, in order to save money by not providing a script.

The film is about a well-known scandal, so the names and other proper nouns aren't so much of a problem, it's just that, as with most French films I work with, the actors seem to think that mumbling quickly constitutes good acting.

Thank you for your input, José.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Is there money to be saved? Jan 28, 2013

Unless the film is a series of ad-lib interviews, I mean, if it was enacted, it's certain that once upon a time there was a script for the cast to rehearse. Yet sometimes the editor does it with a scimitar, and the original script no longer matches the final cut, so it gets conveniently stowed away (or shredded).

If they (who???) still have the script, it won't cost a thing to send it by e-mail. However maybe the cost of rummaging old papers and finding it would be too high.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:05
English
+ ...
not to save money I’m afraid Jan 28, 2013

Christopher Smith wrote:

I suspect that is the reason too, in order to save money by not providing a script.

I’m afraid that’s not what José said; he said you should charge more when there’s a script, so if this were about them saving money they should have provided you with one.

Why they haven’t in fact done so might be that there simply isn’t a script in existence. I know this sounds incredible but this actually can happen.

PS: I didn’t see José’s response when I wrote mine. Obviously his is the more authoritative response; you can ignore mine.

[Edited at 2013-01-28 21:29 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Clarification Jan 28, 2013

I am not the one suggesting, it's the syndicate. They suggest BRL 23.00/minute when a script IS provided; and BRL 34.50 (= 50% more) when a script is NOT provided... which makes sense. If some phrase is mumbled, having the script you'll only have to capture the rhythm, and the text will tell you what the actor/actress (should have) said. No need to listen to it more than once.

Christopher Smith
Spain
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Payment Jan 28, 2013

I'm actually being paid less than the Euro equivalent of R$ 23, so I am working much harder for little return on my efforts.

Do you think it's then reasonable to ask my client if I can approach the production company myself, or would this be considered bad practice?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
FYI Jan 28, 2013

This Sintra suggestions table includes some wishful thinking. It would be hard to justify charging more than that.

I charge BRL 30/minute always*, and yet I am on the top of the heap, because I specialize in corporate video**. Only now and then - quite rarely - I do TV series/movies.

* always = same price for dubbing or subtitling, regardless of whether a script is provided or not. If you managed to read that in PT, they suggest:
- a 40% surcharge for technical vi
... See more
This Sintra suggestions table includes some wishful thinking. It would be hard to justify charging more than that.

I charge BRL 30/minute always*, and yet I am on the top of the heap, because I specialize in corporate video**. Only now and then - quite rarely - I do TV series/movies.

* always = same price for dubbing or subtitling, regardless of whether a script is provided or not. If you managed to read that in PT, they suggest:
- a 40% surcharge for technical videos (I waive it),
- a 100% surcharge for dubbing (ditto), and
- a 70% surcharge for translating in the opposite direction, i.e. FROM PT (ditto).
So I always charge BRL 30/min for video translation alone, regardless, period.

** corporate video = Disney-like quality with technical vocabulary.
Collapse

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 14:05
Estonian to English
+ ...
script Jan 28, 2013

Scripts are usually considered a "distribution requirement".
If it's a French film, then most of those even have English subtitles - most of the European productions are co-financed by the EU and English subtitles are again a requirement in that case.

The company who hired you should be able to ask for a script.
You could provide them with the contacts of the production company - if perhaps they are too busy to look for the information themselves (possibly they have acqu
... See more
Scripts are usually considered a "distribution requirement".
If it's a French film, then most of those even have English subtitles - most of the European productions are co-financed by the EU and English subtitles are again a requirement in that case.

The company who hired you should be able to ask for a script.
You could provide them with the contacts of the production company - if perhaps they are too busy to look for the information themselves (possibly they have acquired the rights to the film through some other sources).

If they refuse, I would suggest asking for the right to contact the production company directly.
I have actually done it once (it was a small independent U.S. film) and the actual director gladly sent me the script and even asked for my opinion about the film.
Collapse

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 13:05
English to French
No script = a better rate for you Feb 5, 2013

If you don't get a script, you should charge more. It's definitely more work on your part having to listen several times whenever lines are unclear. Doesn't mean you may blindly consider any script as flawless, though.

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
It's probably too late now, Feb 8, 2013

but you should never approach the end client directly. Always go through the proper channels. Ask your client to pass on the request for a script, or at least get their permission to contact the production company before approaching them yourself.

And yes, you should charge more if a script isn't provided. It really speeds up the process if you don't have to do detailed research on spellings etc or listen to mumbled dialogue over and over again trying to make sense of it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for a script

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »