Thread poster: Noha Issa
Noha Issa
Noha Issa  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:08
Spanish to Arabic
+ ...
Jan 3, 2007

Dear all
I posted this question before in the arabic forum but I didn't get any answers yet.
Can anyone tell me what are the average rates for subtitling & the most commonly used applications?
Thank you in advance.
Happy new year

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-18 17:33]

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:08
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check out the TRAG group on Yahoo Jan 3, 2007

Since you read Spanish, I suggest you consider subscribing to the wonderful Trag forum (short for "Traducción de guiones") on Yahoo Groups. Once you subscribe, you can access their "Files" area, which includes some very useful documents about pricing.

It's also a really friendly bunch of people.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:08
French to Spanish
+ ...
Yes TRAG, and other things. Jan 4, 2007

TRAG (Xosé Castro, big chief, wonderful person).
Also here, in Subtitling Forum. Take a look.
I assume you need rates in translation FOR subtitling, not for subtitling.
Subtitling is a very large and complicated task: 35 mm. (lay over or laser), DVD, electronic, close caption, etc.
A "subtitler" is not a person who subtitles: he "only" translates for a further process called subtitling.
Don't understand "most commonly used applications", though.
Luck.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:08
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I assume the question is about subtitling and "ajuste" (spotting??) Jan 4, 2007

I'm so used to reading about subtitling in Spanish that I can't always come up with the terms in English.

At any rate, the software I use is Subtitle Workshop. It has the advantage of being free, and also has many of the disadvantages that go with free software.

The more professional (and flexible) packages are worth considering only if subtitling is going to be your main gig.

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 22:08
English to French
I disagree, Juan Jan 7, 2007

Juan Jacob wrote:
A "subtitler" is not a person who subtitles: he "only" translates for a further process called subtitling.

I'm a freelance SUBTITLER : with my software, I do cueing, translation, typing and checking of my own work. From my files, I consider the tasks that follow are "only" postproduction : burning, putting the file into the dvd, chaptering, etc. I hand in my work to a post-production manager, not a subtitler. Then the person who finalizes (technically) the subtitles for broadcast is a post-production technician (sometimes an editor), not a subtitler either.

Noha Issa
Noha Issa  Identity Verified
Spanish to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about rates? Jan 7, 2007

Thank you all for your response. However, I was inquiring about rates, just an idea I am not asking to know each other's rates. I just wanted to know if it counted by word for translation then per minute, or is it charged per episode or movie, or per subtitle & so on... with an average rate.
Thank you Steven for the information about the yahoo group, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find it
Best wishes

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
As far as rates are concerned Jan 7, 2007

Noha Issa wrote:
I just wanted to know if it counted by word for translation then per minute, or is it charged per episode or movie, or per subtitle & so on... with an average rate.

Should be "per subtitle" (fairest), but will more probably be "per program" or "per minute of program".

Sorry, no such thing as an average rate in our field ! My advice : just try not to go too often under 1 USD per subtitle (cueing + translating).

[Edited at 2007-01-07 16:31]

harriet6
harriet6
English to French
+ ...
the subtitling process Feb 1, 2007

Hello Sylvano,
I am a documentary filmmaker and have only made subtitles for my own films, inside Final Cut Pro. What is your process? What do you start with, a dvd? If someone gives you a vhs, can you work with it? How? How do you "synch" subtitles up in other programs?thanks for your help, I am helping a friend and am lost!
Harriet
[/quote]

I'm a freelance SUBTITLER : with my software, I do cueing, translation, typing and checking of my own work. From my files,
... See more
Hello Sylvano,
I am a documentary filmmaker and have only made subtitles for my own films, inside Final Cut Pro. What is your process? What do you start with, a dvd? If someone gives you a vhs, can you work with it? How? How do you "synch" subtitles up in other programs?thanks for your help, I am helping a friend and am lost!
Harriet
[/quote]

I'm a freelance SUBTITLER : with my software, I do cueing, translation, typing and checking of my own work. From my files, I consider the tasks that follow are "only" postproduction : burning, putting the file into the dvd, chaptering, etc. I hand in my work to a post-production manager, not a subtitler. Then the person who finalizes (technically) the subtitles for broadcast is a post-production technician (sometimes an editor), not a subtitler either. [/quote]
Collapse

Manoota
Manoota
English to Arabic
Hello Everybody Jul 20, 2007

I'm new on the site and i was wondering if anybody would give me any clues about things work around here. the fields i'm interested in are: translation, translation for subtitles, editing and voiceovers.

thankx a million

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Actual subtitling rates & the most commonly used applications

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »