What is the best subtitiling software which will make the process efficient?
Thread poster: das
das
das
Oct 5, 2007

I'm doing subtitling for first time. For a sample, I used DivxLand software to create .ssa file and VirtualDub to synchronize, and finally saved video in .mpeg format. My inout file was video and output was also video.

As per my calculation, for a 60 minute video it would take atleast 4 days to complete the job. I think it is way too long to deliver a job. I would like to know about the best software for subtitling which also has complete guide on it and will make the process effic
... See more
I'm doing subtitling for first time. For a sample, I used DivxLand software to create .ssa file and VirtualDub to synchronize, and finally saved video in .mpeg format. My inout file was video and output was also video.

As per my calculation, for a 60 minute video it would take atleast 4 days to complete the job. I think it is way too long to deliver a job. I would like to know about the best software for subtitling which also has complete guide on it and will make the process efficient.

Also, I tried to use Subtitle Workshop but that does not give an output in video format. I am not sure why my client wants is video format. What is your experience in this? Do clients mainly require video format output or do we send them just the subtitled file which they import into their video for broadcast etc.

Please help me.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-05 11:59]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-05 12:00]
Collapse

simona dachille
simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:51
Italian to English
try swift or win caps Oct 5, 2007

das wrote:

As per my calculation, for a 60 minute video it would take atleast 4 days to complete the job. I think it is way too long to deliver a job. I would like to know about the best software for subtitling which also has complete guide on it and will make the process efficient.

Also, I tried to use Subtitle Workshop but that does not give an output in video format. I am not sure why my client wants is video format. What is your experience in this? Do clients mainly require video format output or do we send them just the subtitled file which they import into their video for broadcast etc.

Please help me.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-05 11:59]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-05 12:00]

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:51
Russian to English
I liked "FAB" Oct 5, 2007

I used a program called FAB for one client. Except for the actual subtitling itself, the whole process sounds a lot easier that the one you described.
With FAB, you enter your subtitles as you watch (and pause) the video, and then you go through your subs with the video and sync them up. Or you can do that as you go along.
Even though I decided subtitling is not for me, I thought the software was kinda nifty and fun to use.

... See more
I used a program called FAB for one client. Except for the actual subtitling itself, the whole process sounds a lot easier that the one you described.
With FAB, you enter your subtitles as you watch (and pause) the video, and then you go through your subs with the video and sync them up. Or you can do that as you go along.
Even though I decided subtitling is not for me, I thought the software was kinda nifty and fun to use.

here's a link: http://www.fab-online.com/eng/subtitling/production/subtstd.htm
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Efficiency is in the hardware Oct 6, 2007

... while effectiveness is in the software.

It seems that your computer is struggling at its full strength to render your videos.

I use a Sempron 2.8 with 1 GB RAM, and its speed for rendering videos is only acceptable, at most a matter of a couple of hours or so. A friend told me that the move from a true Pentium IV to a quad-core cut his video rendering time to one-third. So that's the kind of upgrade I am thinking of in the near future.

I was also told t
... See more
... while effectiveness is in the software.

It seems that your computer is struggling at its full strength to render your videos.

I use a Sempron 2.8 with 1 GB RAM, and its speed for rendering videos is only acceptable, at most a matter of a couple of hours or so. A friend told me that the move from a true Pentium IV to a quad-core cut his video rendering time to one-third. So that's the kind of upgrade I am thinking of in the near future.

I was also told that the video interface you have also helps a lot in rendering. My NVIDIA GEForce 4 MX 4000 was the state of the art when I bought it, but I''ve been told that it's already obsolete.

So if you can blame your subtitling slowness on hardware, better start there. No software in the world will compensate for that.

One DVD frame is 720x480 pixels (NTSC), and you have 29.97 of them per second. This means 10 million pixels "dealt" per second. Even with compression and other things, it requires power.

After you are done, here is my route: I translate the video using Windows NotePad and Express Scribe. Then I use Media Subtitler just to open the TXT file and save it to SSA. Then I spot everything with Subtitle Workshop. Finally, if you get the proper Subtitler plugin for it, VirtualDub will burn the sharpest and neatest subtitles ever.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best subtitiling software which will make the process efficient?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »