Thread poster: Jessie LN
juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not quite Dec 18, 2007

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
What Juvera and Juan described is "industrial" subtitles translation and, quite frankly, the video is often not involved in the process.

Different language-pair translators just get the spotted subtitles text file in language A, nothing else. They may use Trados if they wish (many of these clients prioritize having Trados over the translator being still alive), and translate these subtitles.

Some of these translators even use secondhand files. For instance, if the original film is in CZ, and they have a CZ>DE, but not a CZ>EN translator, they might use a DE>EN translator on a second round.

Quite frankly, IMHO this is not 'video translation'. It is plain text translation interspersed with a huge quantity of 'silly numbers' (the spotting), which any CAT tool will skip over.

Indeed, the video hasn't been involved for years. Who would want to work with a video when subtitling? You can view and work on your computer simultaneously.

You get the DVD with the original language subtitles, or more often simply download the film and the master file from the agency's protected website, with the up to date password you get when you work for them.

I would never translate subtitles without at least checking it against the film and I would strongly advise anybody who embarks on subtitle translation not to accept doing so.
When only the video is available, then one must watch it first, translate, mark dubious passages for re-checking, then print out the translation and check it again with the video running.

I never used Trados for subtitling, but the appropriate software. None of those I was in touch with during my subtitling years used it to my knowledge, and I am talking about a lot of people.

The chances of discovering a mistake in the original EN subtitles is much greater, when more than one translator is working on it at about the same time than one lonely soul.

It is highly unlikely that they can't find a translator in Europe or in the US for a particular language pair, therefore second-hand translations are very rare. I would think it is more likely to come from the country of origin, using subtitles already translated into a major language, to be translated into another minority language. I never came accross it personally. To use second-hand translations for dubbing is more likely, but let's not stray away from our main subject too much.

As you said, you mainly translate training videos, and that is a different area, where the need to translate it is likely to be for just one or a couple of languages.

With feature films and TV programs, particulary from English the demand is for a dozen or a couple of dozen languages. It doesn't diminish one's responsibility or the enjoyment of translating a good film.

Having said that, the trend is to pay less and less, therefore good, experienced translators often give up this kind of work, with the exception of the one-off videos or DVDs, like the ones you are doing.

There are a lot of people doing film and TV translations now, without sufficient cultural background and experience, for very little money. That's why there are perhaps more bad translations that say 6-8 years ago.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Some great points, Juvera Dec 18, 2007

juvera wrote:
Indeed, the video hasn't been involved for years. Who would want to work with a video when subtitling? You can view and work on your computer simultaneously.

Don't get me wrong. When I work with a "video" it means a motion picture medium from VHS onwards. Some clients send me VHS, I have to capture. Others send DVD, or files: wmv, flv, mpg, you name it. Now and then a Betacam tape comes up, I outsource its transfer to digital video files with a studio.

juvera wrote:
I would never translate subtitles without at least checking it against the film and I would strongly advise anybody who embarks on subtitle translation not to accept doing so.

You wouldn't, I wouldn't but some people would. Last week a producer sent me a film with its script and its translation, in two columns side by side. The end client sent the script to some translator without the film. They were asking me to "adapt" it for dubbing. Bottom line, the end client paid for TWO translations.

juvera wrote:
When only the video is available, then one must watch it first, translate, mark dubious passages for re-checking, then print out the translation and check it again with the video running.

Maybe this is why my video translation is expensive enough to keep me out from the TV and commercial film dubbing and subtitling markets. I watch the video while transcribing the soundtrack. Then I translate the audio using an e-dictaphone, actually an Australian freeware named ExpressScribe. Previously, I used two large Akai open-reel recorders (their start&stop is immediate, and they last for several decades under heavy use).

juvera wrote:
I never used Trados for subtitling, but the appropriate software. None of those I was in touch with during my subtitling years used it to my knowledge, and I am talking about a lot of people.

Good for you! And for them too! But I've seen too many job ads requiring Trados as an absolute must, linguistic knowledge optional. And that script translation I fixed showed clear signs of improperly cleaned WordFast.

juvera wrote:
It is highly unlikely that they can't find a translator in Europe or in the US for a particular language pair, therefore second-hand translations are very rare. I would think it is more likely to come from the country of origin, using subtitles already translated into a major language, to be translated into another minority language. I never came accross it personally. To use second-hand translations for dubbing is more likely, but let's not stray away from our main subject too much.

Though I'm across the ocean from Europe, I know that some language, in spite of being well-served with translators, ave few, if any, that work with video.

Dubbing is extremely delicate, if anyone wants Disney-like results. I was once offered to translate 300 films, spoken in Chinese (of which I don't know squat) and subtitled in English. They wanted them lip-sync-ed in Portuguese. No way, Jose!

juvera wrote:
As you said, you mainly translate training videos, and that is a different area, where the need to translate it is likely to be for just one or a couple of languages.

Usually only the local one. So far I only had two cases where they wanted me to get the subtitles translated by someone else into Spanish as well. Thank goodness I understand enough of it, as I had to readjust some timespotting due to different phrase construction.

juvera wrote:
Having said that, the trend is to pay less and less, therefore good, experienced translators often give up this kind of work, with the exception of the one-off videos or DVDs, like the ones you are doing.

There are a lot of people doing film and TV translations now, without sufficient cultural background and experience, for very little money. That's why there are perhaps more bad translations that say 6-8 years ago.

Dead right! While the good ones leave the market, the wannabes gradually take it over, making greedy clients rejoice from it getting cheaper and cheaper. So if there are any upcoming new talents in video translation, they'll soon find something more rewarding to do.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Amen Dec 18, 2007

Dear José, (may I call you that?) we reached a common platform.
As you said, greedy clients are rejoiced to get it cheaper and cheaper, and quality is way down on the list of their priorities.
Most of the time they don't even know what they are getting, because by en large they don't understand the other languages, and don't come across blogs pilorising excruciating film translations.

Good luck with your work and happy holidays.
J

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get into subtitling?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »