Przemyslaw Podmostko (X)
Przemyslaw Podmostko (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:36
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 16, 2007

Hello everyone!

This may sound stupid a bit, but is having film subtitles translated in my ProZ.com portfolio (profile) a violation of copyrights of the filmmakers?

thanks, Przemek

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Suggestion Dec 16, 2007

If you want to display your subtitling work, I'd suggest you use any copyright-free film, e.g. some NGO film they'd like to be seen by as many people as possible, upload it to YouTube, and put a link to it on your profile. At most they'll thank you for that.

If you want to use a commercial movie, you can probably download a trailer from http://www.imdb.com and subtitle it.

A sample sh
... See more
If you want to display your subtitling work, I'd suggest you use any copyright-free film, e.g. some NGO film they'd like to be seen by as many people as possible, upload it to YouTube, and put a link to it on your profile. At most they'll thank you for that.

If you want to use a commercial movie, you can probably download a trailer from http://www.imdb.com and subtitle it.

A sample should be short. No use in offering your completely subtitled version of a 2-hour movie, unless you want to display endurance to long jobs. Even in this case, you might show just snippets of different parts of the film, to show that your quality is constant throughout.

Pozdrowienie!

[Edited at 2007-12-16 12:16]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't think so Dec 16, 2007

Przemyslaw Podmostko wrote:
...is having film subtitles translated in my ProZ.com portfolio (profile) a violation of copyrights of the filmmakers?

IANAL, but I don't think so. Still, I agree with José's suggestion -- rather use a film that has a libre licence attached to it.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:36
French to Spanish
+ ...
What... Dec 18, 2007

...a great idea!
Gee, never thought about it!
Thanks... and copyright, well, I'll manage it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

subtitles as Sample Translations?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »