SDLXLIFF: Copy all sources to targets ... without using Trados
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nov 22, 2022

Is there a way to prepare SDLXLIFF files for translation by copying all sources to their targets without using Trados?

Preferably on Mac.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans Nov 22, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
Is there a way to prepare SDLXLIFF files for translation by copying all sources to their targets without using Trados?

WFP7 is reasonably good at handling SDLXLIFF files. The demo version has no file size limit and no expiry.
https://www.wordfast.com/store_download

[Edited at 2022-11-22 10:39 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Nov 22, 2022

No, it doesn't:

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.18.24

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Most offline CAT tools can handle sdlxiff files Nov 22, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Preferably on Mac.

I know that both memoQ and Dejavu can handle sdlxliff files and do what you want. I don't know if you have some other CAT tool you are using? If not, you may want to ask the client if they can send you an External View file. It is a word file you can work in without the need of Trados Studio, and where the client can import the translation into Studio.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
OpenXLIFF Filters? Dec 18, 2022

Copy the content of source elements to new target elements for all untranslated segments

Perhaps this tool can be used?

https://maxprograms.com/products/openxliff.html

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:23
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Looks possible Dec 18, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
Copy the content of source elements to new target elements for all untranslated segments

Specifically, here?
https://github.com/rmraya/OpenXLIFF#copy-source-to-target

It does look possible. May I query the background to your request? Normally you'd be using CafeTran for this, would you not?

Regards,
Dan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Empty target segments Dec 18, 2022

Dan Lucas wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

Specifically, here?
https://github.com/rmraya/OpenXLIFF#copy-source-to-target

It does look possible. May I query the background to your request? Normally you'd be using CafeTran for this, would you not?

Regards,
Dan

Hi Dan,

I receive automatically generated Trados packages that don't contain any content in the target segments. In the image above (from Wordfast was Anywhere) this is detected and described as 'target slot missing'.

In order to translate these packages with my preferred tool, I have to open them in Trados first and copy all source segments from left to right.

I'm looking for a way to avoid opening packages in Trados at the project preparation stage.

Dan Lucas

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans Dec 18, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
In order to translate these packages with my preferred tool, I have to open them in Trados first and copy all source segments from left to right.

Just for the sake of curiosity... not to answer your original question, but...

Is it truly necessary to copy all source to target in Trados, in order for these files to be accepted by your CAT tool? What happens if you open the file in Trados, type "asdf" in the first segment", save the file, then remove the "asdf" again, and save the file? Does your other tool then accept the Trados file (even though the targets are still empty)?

The reason I ask is that sometimes a Trados file is simply unsegmented (i.e. it has SOURCE elements but no SEG-SOURCE elements, and many CAT tools' SDLXLIFF support assumes the presence of SEG-SOURCE).

Another interesting experiment: if you were to take a Trados file that your CAT tool accepts, and edit it in a regex text editor and remove all TARGET elements (but not the SEG-SOURCE elements), will your CAT tool still accept that file?

If you have a file with only SOURCE but no SEG-SOURCE, I wonder if it would be sufficient for you to simply create SEG-SOURCE next to the SOURCE and copy the SOURCE content into the SEG-SOURCE element. I wonder if Trados will accept a file that has no MRK tags in the SEG-SOURCE elements.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Dec 18, 2022

I'll definitely have to do some reading about the XLIFF file format ...

Answering some of your questions already:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Is it truly necessary to copy all source to target in Trados, in order for these files to be accepted by your CAT tool? What happens if you open the file in Trados, type "asdf" in the first segment", save the file, then remove the "asdf" again, and save the file? Does your other tool then accept the Trados file (even though the targets are still empty)?

Amazingly, it does. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now I'll have to find out if I can achieve this with e.g. BBEdit.

To be cont.

BTW: When opening such an SDLXLIFF file created by an authoring system, I get this dialogue box in Trados:

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 13.42.36

[Edited at 2022-12-18 15:31 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
XLIFF Manager Feb 21, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Preferably on Mac.

Found it!

Maxprograms' XLIFF Manager can presegment Trados XLIFF files.

Download: https://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/index.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLXLIFF: Copy all sources to targets ... without using Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »