Thread poster: Zoe Rouwen
Zoe Rouwen
Zoe Rouwen
Germany
Local time: 22:21
German to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2023

Help! I translated a very straightforward 12K Word file in Trados 2021. When I was finished, as always, I saved the target in Word. But when I try to open the Word file it seems to be corrupt. I get the message from Word that "Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions..."

I tried using the Text Recovery converter, but nothing works. Word will not open the file. I have no issues opening the source text file. And there are no errors or warnings in Tr
... See more
Help! I translated a very straightforward 12K Word file in Trados 2021. When I was finished, as always, I saved the target in Word. But when I try to open the Word file it seems to be corrupt. I get the message from Word that "Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions..."

I tried using the Text Recovery converter, but nothing works. Word will not open the file. I have no issues opening the source text file. And there are no errors or warnings in Trados. GRRRRRR I have to deliver this translation and do not know what to do.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Some critical tag is missing? Feb 17, 2023

Did you you the QA check before saving the target file?

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
suggestion Feb 17, 2023

Convert the original word in to rich format, and run TM again for translate it, this worked for me in the past.

I hope this helps

Zoe Rouwen
Zoe Rouwen
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No QA check Feb 17, 2023

I didn't do a QA check, but I never have in my 15 years of using Trados. I just always check what errors/warnings I have and fix them.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:21
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Would this work? Feb 17, 2023

Zrouwen wrote:

I have no issues opening the source text file. And there are no errors or warnings in Trados. GRRRRRR I have to deliver this translation and do not know what to do.

Try to create a New Project with that file or use "Drag files for translation or browse your computer" to pretranslate the document by using the TM you added for that project.
See if you can open the file in Word after you have done this.
This could be helpful too:

https://translationtherapy.com/how-to-solve-an-error-when-trying-to-save-target-document-in-sdl-studio/

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Another question Feb 17, 2023

What was the format of the original file?

If it was .DOCX, then try saving it a DOC.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:21
English to Russian
Split in halves Feb 18, 2023

Zrouwen wrote:
I didn't do a QA check, but I never have in my 15 years of using Trados. I just always check what errors/warnings I have and fix them.
You should try to run the QA to find possible issues with tags. It can identify the problem much faster than the below procedure.

Divide your file by 2 and clear translation for the second half. For example, if you have 1000 segments, select segments 501 to 1000 and remove their translation. Save target as docx and try to open it. If you still can't open the file, undo removing the translation with Ctrl+Z, leave the second half translated and clear the first half this time. If you would manage to identify the damaged half this way, proceed with this splitting procedure until you find the damaged segment: split the half found damaged in two halves again and repeat the above steps. And so on.

[Edited at 2023-02-18 20:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error opening Word file "saved as target" from Trados 2021

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »