Can we discuss your experience of SDL Trados Studio 22?
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:14
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 23, 2023

Hi,

I am happily using Studio 2015, but one of my former clients told me today that Studio 2017 is a prerequisite for working with them. I've contacted SDL about an upgrade, but my only option is to buy the (very expensive) full 2022 version as the upgrade window closed a few years ago. SDL say that I can keep my Studio 2015 version on both computers (PC and laptop) even if I do upgrade.

I work on both a laptop and a PC, so I have three options:

(a) The Fre
... See more
Hi,

I am happily using Studio 2015, but one of my former clients told me today that Studio 2017 is a prerequisite for working with them. I've contacted SDL about an upgrade, but my only option is to buy the (very expensive) full 2022 version as the upgrade window closed a few years ago. SDL say that I can keep my Studio 2015 version on both computers (PC and laptop) even if I do upgrade.

I work on both a laptop and a PC, so I have three options:

(a) The Freelance £645 version - where I can have the offline version on one computer and the cloud version on the other
(b) The Freelance Plus £795 version - where I can have the offline version on both, as well as the cloud version on both (if I understand correctly)
(c) The £264 subscription version - where I can have the offline version on one computer and the cloud version on the other

Specifically I have the following questions:

1. Does using the cloud version - where I have to upload my translation files/translation memories/termbases etc. to the cloud - involve any issues of confidentiality with my clients if they provide me with termbases and translation memories?
2. If I upload all of my translation memories to the cloud, can I download them again/remove them from the cloud (for example, if I decide to stop using Trados)?
3. If I work in the cloud, are my offline translation memories also updated and synchronized, and if so, how?

I'd be interested in hearing how other people have found using Studio 2022. Please comment if you can think of any other issues that you have come across as well (other than technical issues that are being discussed in the Studio support forum).

Many thanks in advance,

Joanne
Collapse

David Gibney
David Gibney  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Incredibly Slow Feb 24, 2023

The 2015 version is better. My updated TMs were twice the size in terms of memory and overall the newer version is very slow compared to the older version. The price is just not worth it and it didn't solve the issues which were the reason I upgraded. Packages from clients still don't work and it has nothing to offer compared to cheaper tools. It just added to the problems I wanted to fix.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:14
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
It's the same old Trados behind all the diversity smokescreen Feb 24, 2023

Even in Trados 2022, you will come across many bugs which have not been resolved for many years, which will require to rename your settings directory to "OLD_Trados", so that a new settings folder will be created. This means that you will need to set up everything the way you like it from scratch. Again and again and again. Even setting your preferred fonts for all the different languages and window panes is too time-consuming and frustrating.

A notable example of the above is when
... See more
Even in Trados 2022, you will come across many bugs which have not been resolved for many years, which will require to rename your settings directory to "OLD_Trados", so that a new settings folder will be created. This means that you will need to set up everything the way you like it from scratch. Again and again and again. Even setting your preferred fonts for all the different languages and window panes is too time-consuming and frustrating.

A notable example of the above is when you try to open a Studio package (.sdlppx) but the application complains that it can't access your "My Music" folder... Why on earth would Trados need to access the music folder and why this prevents it from loading a package is beyond my comprehension—and, apparently, beyond the comprehension of the good guys at RWS.

On the other hand, I guess it's a good thing they did not decide to "rebrand" their file extensions to ".rwsppx" and ".rwsrpx".

All in all, if your client really needs it and the pros outweigh the cons for you, then go for it.
Collapse

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 19:14
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Pricing Feb 25, 2023

First of all, I am surprised by the prices quoted. Did you check on the Translator group buying page whether you are eligible for a lower price? I purchased a Freelance Plus license in 2016 (and bought the updates for 2021/22) and I do not remember having paid these prices. Pretty sure I benefited from a special price.

I am quite happy with Studio, especially since the 2021 version. I noticed some general improvements over earlie
... See more
First of all, I am surprised by the prices quoted. Did you check on the Translator group buying page whether you are eligible for a lower price? I purchased a Freelance Plus license in 2016 (and bought the updates for 2021/22) and I do not remember having paid these prices. Pretty sure I benefited from a special price.

I am quite happy with Studio, especially since the 2021 version. I noticed some general improvements over earlier versions, one being the Verify task taking way less time than before. Yes, there are glitches and bugs, but nothing that cannot be avoided with a workaround – granted, this is the opinion of a tech-savvy person. Unlike most of the web-based tools, where the glitches are inherent to the browser and server technology. As recently as yesterday, the XTM platform became unavailable half an hour before my deadline! However, I cannot comment on the Cloud version of Studio as I am not using it yet.

Philippe
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:14
English to Russian
Upgrade from 2015 to 2022 Feb 26, 2023

Philippe Noth wrote:
I purchased a Freelance Plus license in 2016 (and bought the updates for 2021/22) and I do not remember having paid these prices.
You can easily check this information by searching for only two words Trados buy: https://www.trados.com/store/
I bought Trados in 2011, obviously its price was lower 12 years ago. Then I only purchased upgrades at a much lower price. However you cannot upgrade from 2015 to 2022. Hence the new installation price.
What regards the "worthiness", it paid off after two jobs for me. If I was not banned from Trados 2022 for political reasons, I would buy it by pre-order.
What regards Trados bugs, a good half of them are caused by inadequate training or knowledge. I often see posts like that: "I experience big problems with Trados 2022... My Trados can't find file/TM. No, I did nothing that may cause that, I merely removed the file/TM to a different folder. Does it any matter?"

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Trados and bugs Feb 27, 2023

I've been working with Trados since the year 2000, so I've bought quite some upgrades in the past. I must say that I have never ever had big issues with any Trados version whatsoever. There are always small issues, but I've had never issues that were big enough to ask the support service for help.

Furthermore I don't consider myself as a tech-savvy person. I'm just familiar with the basics of computers. Of course I know about software, but that's mostly intuitive anyway.

... See more
I've been working with Trados since the year 2000, so I've bought quite some upgrades in the past. I must say that I have never ever had big issues with any Trados version whatsoever. There are always small issues, but I've had never issues that were big enough to ask the support service for help.

Furthermore I don't consider myself as a tech-savvy person. I'm just familiar with the basics of computers. Of course I know about software, but that's mostly intuitive anyway.

So I really wonder what people do with their computers to have all those problems they are talking about. I really can't relate.
Collapse

Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Don´t use the cloud if you don´t want to Feb 27, 2023

I updated recently from Studio 2019 to 2022, and have not experienced any problems. In fact I have found definite improvements in all updates until 2019, and the update resolved a bug which had arisen with Multiterm in Studio 2019.

I have not yet used Studio 2022 much, but it certainly seems to work well. I simply do not use the cloud, and it is quite easy to ignore it. There may be advantages, but not for the way I work, mostly on one computer and with small projects.

... See more
I updated recently from Studio 2019 to 2022, and have not experienced any problems. In fact I have found definite improvements in all updates until 2019, and the update resolved a bug which had arisen with Multiterm in Studio 2019.

I have not yet used Studio 2022 much, but it certainly seems to work well. I simply do not use the cloud, and it is quite easy to ignore it. There may be advantages, but not for the way I work, mostly on one computer and with small projects.

A tip I have heard is that it is a good idea to shut Trados down completely each day or several times a week - it ´tidies up´ in the process, and this supposedly prevents accumulations that can cause bugs. It certainly helped when I found the QA process painfully slow on large files with graphics. Save everything when you complete the translation, close Trados, then start afresh and run the QA. (It still finds loads of false positives, but at least it does not take several seconds to react to ´ignore´ and move on. )

I tend to turn off my computer completely a couple of times a day, when I take breaks, and I have very rarely had issues with Trados. Believe me, it is FAR BETTER than the Workbench 3.1 I started out with, and the first couple of versions of Studio were an improvement on TagEditor but not the flexible tool I have today... I have tried other CATs, but always come back to Trados.

It is worth the effort of learning to use it properly, and it is not entirely intuitive, but it suits me. If you already have 2015, check out the improvements and enjoy 2022. Emma Goldsmith's blog https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/category/sdl-trados-studio/page/2/ is a good place to start!
Collapse

Jo Macdonald

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Depends where you use it for Feb 28, 2023

I upgraded from 2015 to 2017 to 2019, and didn't see any big differences, at least how I use it. A bit more bells and whistles (I have no use for anyway), and for the rest it was the same old Trados.

The upgrades are a waste of money, if you ask me.

Thomas Johansson
Epameinondas Soufleros
Emi Lecret

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we discuss your experience of SDL Trados Studio 22?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »