What are your favorite apps for Trados 2022?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Mar 19, 2023

I would like to hear your favorite apps for Trados 2022 are.

Thank you in advance!

(Mine is Glossary Converter.)

Hans

Dalia Nour
Arianne Farah

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:37
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Integrated Search Views Mar 19, 2023

https://appstore.rws.com/plugin/63/ Integrated Search Views: Simultaneously searches a host of SDLXLIFFs for keywords in Studio.

Hans Lenting
Dalia Nour

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Studio Views Mar 19, 2023

Studio Views (allows one to create an SDXLIFF export and import containing only the specified segments). MemoQ has this built in. OmegaT can do this with a hack. AFAIK Wordfast Pro can't do this.

Hans Lenting
Dalia Nour

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:37
English to Russian
Favourite plugins Mar 19, 2023

I like OPUS-CAT plugin, a free and offline NMT engine that can be trained using your own TMs; TUToTM, a plugin that enables storing occasional segments without the need to create a... See more
I like OPUS-CAT plugin, a free and offline NMT engine that can be trained using your own TMs; TUToTM, a plugin that enables storing occasional segments without the need to create a project; Trados T-Window for Clipboard, a plugin that allows you to use Trados TMs anywhere in other apps without running Trados; studioViews that filters segments and saves them as a standalone file; Wordlight that highlights words in segments in different colors; CleanUp Tasks that can replace and lock the source and target content based on regex; Export to Excel that exports sdlxliff files as Excel files; Glossary Converter that I use in lieu of Multiterm.

Also I find it handy to add a desktop shortcut to the Plugin Manager. Normally it is in this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL plugin installer\Sdl.Community.SdlPluginInstaller.exe but there is no clear instruction or button where to find it and I had to google for it every time I needed to manage my plugins.

[Edited at 2023-03-20 17:18 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
What am I doing wrong? Mar 20, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Trados T-Window for Clipboard[/url], a plugin that allows you to use Trados TMs anywhere in other apps without running Trados;

This one looks like a handy App indeed. So, I downloaded it (tried both versions), installed it, I can see it in "All programs/the menu", but it doesn't open, whatever I try.

What am I doing wrong?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:37
English to Russian
Have you checked your system tray? Mar 20, 2023

Also, do you have a shortcut either on your desktop or in Start-Progams-Trados Studio Apps?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Stepan Mar 21, 2023

Problem is that the app is not compatible with my Studio version, which is 2019.

Too bad.

Thanks anyhow.

Stepan Konev

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:37
Member (2008)
English to French
I didn't know this one Mar 21, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Studio Views (allows one to create an SDXLIFF export and import containing only the specified segments). MemoQ has this built in. OmegaT can do this with a hack. AFAIK Wordfast Pro can't do this.

And I love it already - I work in finance - sometimes 90% of the project is locked cells because it's the same year after year, but I still want to export the new text for review in an external tool!

So... I had the Daily Dilbert cartoon app and it looks like it's gone now - too bad.

For French (Canada), I have the Antidote Verifier plugin (you need to have Antidote).

I also use projectTermExtract a lot when I start with a new client - I give a big push to build a glossary.

Eric Le Carre
Eric Le Carre  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
1 - Web Lookup | 2 - TermExcelerator | 3 - IATE Real-time Terminology Mar 21, 2023

For my part, I couldn't translate without the following 3 Studio 2022 apps:

- Web Lookup

"The Web Lookup plugin for Studio allows the user to select text in the source or target language of the translation and run an internet search by clicking on an icon in the ribbon, right-clicking in the editor and selecting "web lookup" or through the use of a simple keyboard shortcut."

In m
... See more
For my part, I couldn't translate without the following 3 Studio 2022 apps:

- Web Lookup

"The Web Lookup plugin for Studio allows the user to select text in the source or target language of the translation and run an internet search by clicking on an icon in the ribbon, right-clicking in the editor and selecting "web lookup" or through the use of a simple keyboard shortcut."

In my opinion, though, it should definitely be a default piece of functionality in Studio, as it is in other TM systems like memoQ.

- TermExcelerator

This plugin allows you to use an Excel spreadsheet as a glossary in Studio without having to bother with MultiTerm. You can then add/delete/edit terms and work directly with the spreadsheet just as you would with MultiTerm.

- IATE Real-time Terminology

This is an integration to IATE through Studio using IATE's (Interactive Terminology for Europe) terminology provider API. It recognizes terms as you are translating and comes with a handy autosuggest functionality.
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Can TermExcelerator search case-sensitive? Mar 23, 2023

Eric Le Carre wrote:

- TermExcelerator

This plugin allows you to use an Excel spreadsheet as a glossary in Studio without having to bother with MultiTerm. You can then add/delete/edit terms and work directly with the spreadsheet just as you would with MultiTerm.

Can TermExcelerator be persuaded to search case-sensitive?

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 10.53.09

BTW: I pasted my CafeTran Espresso background dictionary into an Excel worksheet. Only the first 1048576 lines (term pairs) were saved (which apperently is a limit of Excel for Windows). I set the word separator to “;”, et voila!

The response is not as instantaneously as in CafeTran Espresso, but perhaps this is because I'm running Trados in a virtual machine.

EDIT: For the time being I changed the case of all terms to lower case. I removed all duplicates and merged the "synonyms" (alternative translations). The size of the optimized glossary was now below the maximum number of lines that Excel can handle. In the project settings, I set the xlsx file to Read-only. Performance was now acceptable: truly an amazing plug-in!

[Edited at 2023-03-23 13:13 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
SDLXliff2Tmx Mar 23, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

(Mine is Glossary Converter.)

Hans

I forgot to mention this one. Not really a plug-in, but an add-on ...

SDLXliff2Tmx
Current version is 1.1.3

Exports SDLXLIFF files to a TMX and optionally a Text file. SDLXliff2Tmx reads a number of Trados Studio Bilingual Files (*.sdlxliff) and creates a TMX Translation Memory (*.tmx) from the translated strings they contain. The user can select strings to be excluded, based on their status, being locked or having identical source and target segments and can optionally remove formatting information (tags). In addition the user can also save the exported strings in a tab delimited text file. Once installed, you can find SDLXLIFF2Tmx in your programs (All Programs-> SDLXliff2Tmx) where you will then load a stand alone app to work with outside of Trados Studio. A help guide is also included.

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Studio Views, Antidote and locked segments Mar 23, 2023

Arianne Farah wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

And I love it already - I work in finance - sometimes 90% of the project is locked cells because it's the same year after year, but I still want to export the new text for review in an external tool!

So... I had the Daily Dilbert cartoon app and it looks like it's gone now - too bad.

For French (Canada), I have the Antidote Verifier plugin (you need to have Antidote).

I also use projectTermExtract a lot when I start with a new client - I give a big push to build a glossary.

I never used Studio Views but I wonder whether it could solve a small problem I have when using Antidote. Since you work with both, maybe you know…

The problem: the Antidote add-on installed in Studio always sends the whole content of the project to the Antidote program, where I can check for errors and fix them easily. Unfortunately, locked content is also being checked and Antidote attempts – and, of course, fails – to change read-only segments. Unlike in XBench, there is no way to exclude locked segments. Because of that, I have to work in Antidote with a copy/paste of the editor window content (filter: Unlocked), and report all the corrections manually in Studio.

The idea: create a view excluding locked segments with Studio Views and work with this view in Antidote. Will it work?

Philippe

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
SDLXLIFF Compare Mar 23, 2023

I like it because I have been doing lots of revisions lately and it provides a very easy way to generate a report of the changes. The workflow:

1. Copy the language folder into a compare-original folder.

2. Do the revision.

3. Copy the language folder into a compare-revised folder

4. Drag-and-drop the folders on the plugin window and generate the report.

When I am requested to deliver an evaluation and pro
... See more
I like it because I have been doing lots of revisions lately and it provides a very easy way to generate a report of the changes. The workflow:

1. Copy the language folder into a compare-original folder.

2. Do the revision.

3. Copy the language folder into a compare-revised folder

4. Drag-and-drop the folders on the plugin window and generate the report.

When I am requested to deliver an evaluation and provide some sample errors, all I need to do is open the report and pick a few significant corrections.

IntextCT Compare is great too, except it cannot handle sdlxliff’s organized in subfolders.

I had first tried Post Edit Compare. Looks great but seemed overkill to me (I do not want to install code to do cost-analysis and this kind of stuff).
Collapse

Elena Feriani

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are your favorite apps for Trados 2022?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »