Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11]
What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool?
Thread poster: WolfestoneGroup
Ulla Kask
Ulla Kask  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:06
English to Estonian
+ ...
I concur May 17, 2022

Katrin Braams wrote:

Once a previously confirmed segment is changed the segment status does not change back to unconfirmed.

I concur on Katrin's point above in particular – this is very inconvenient and leaves the door open for potential unintentional errors. There does not seem to be an option to change this setting either. Please do fix it.

This has perhaps already been mentioned by others, but I have also noticed that after searching with the find and replace tool and/or filtering the text, the document sometimes gets "confused" and inserts target text into wrong segments (these appear right at first, but upon refreshing, the target text has moved to an incorrect segment). So, as a consequence, I am refraining from using filters as much as possible. Not great.

Also, moving to the first or last viewable segment for the purpose of displaying the previous/following batch of segments – this often does not work, forcing me to instead use the active segment insertion field for moving within the document. Also very annoying.

Ulla Kask
Ulla Kask  Identity Verified
France
English to Estonian
+ ...
Nevermind May 19, 2022

(I had added a complaint here about an issue that was actually editable in the settings)

[Edited at 2022-05-19 13:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-05-19 13:36 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool? Jul 7, 2022

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:
Pros:
"free" for translators

Your sole Pros has gone: now you must pay 10 €/month at least, to have the honour to use it YUK!

Still the best Counter-useful Assisted Technology-tool ever

[Edited at 2022-07-07 16:27 GMT]

judith ryan
judith ryan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:06
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Horrible CAT Tool Sep 17, 2022

XTM is the worst CAT tool I have ever used, after a couple of years I have finally told a client who uses XTM for reviws that I will no longer accept assignments in this tool. The reasons are:

1) Constantly just stops ... page becomes foggy and I have to close the task and reopen. This happens almost every time I want to move from one batch of segments to the next, and when I want to run a search and replace or similar function.

2) There is no way to link different task
... See more
XTM is the worst CAT tool I have ever used, after a couple of years I have finally told a client who uses XTM for reviws that I will no longer accept assignments in this tool. The reasons are:

1) Constantly just stops ... page becomes foggy and I have to close the task and reopen. This happens almost every time I want to move from one batch of segments to the next, and when I want to run a search and replace or similar function.

2) There is no way to link different tasks in the same project into a single view, so every task has to be done from scratch, this impacts time and the quality of the translation as it is difficult to be consistent across all tasks.

3) Their "filter" system generally does not work, times out before it can find anything and again, does not check consistency across tasks.

4) Their QA is truly the pits, to check spelling I have to look for terms highlighted in yellow by going thorugh the entire document.

5) Their consistency check is basically non-existent.

I have no idea why companies opt to use XTM when there are far better products out there, even Memsource is better.
Collapse

Miranda Drew
Philippe Noth
i-Translator
Ragnar Egilsson
Baran Keki
Sonia Tirado Gómez
Yaotl Altan

Ragnar Egilsson
Ragnar Egilsson  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 14:06
Member (2008)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
Here is what my opinion is: May 16, 2023

XTM Cloud is easily the worst mainstream CAT in existence.

Filtering is terrible and it takes several clicks to perform a basic word filter and remove it
The fact that you confirm segments by clicking a new segment is insane.
100% matches aren't automatically updated if they were already input at a lower match %

This CAT has a UI that is actively hostile to linguists. Some translation companies seem to like it because of some ease of use on their end. I woul
... See more
XTM Cloud is easily the worst mainstream CAT in existence.

Filtering is terrible and it takes several clicks to perform a basic word filter and remove it
The fact that you confirm segments by clicking a new segment is insane.
100% matches aren't automatically updated if they were already input at a lower match %

This CAT has a UI that is actively hostile to linguists. Some translation companies seem to like it because of some ease of use on their end. I wouldn't know.

Avoid at all cost.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Miranda Drew
Philippe Noth
Sonia Tirado Gómez
Fredrik N
Paola Muñoz Gallardo
Yaotl Altan

Fredrik N
Fredrik N
Sweden
Member (2017)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Curiouser and curiouser Jul 5, 2023

Yes, this tool isn't particularly amazing to use, just a step above pen & paper, and I'm seeing that people have been giving direct feedback on wanting the ability to open a multi-file view for years now, which, along with a 64-bit framework for Trados and MemoQ, seems to fall under the "feedback that has fallen on deaf ears" category.

Miranda Drew

fcocito
fcocito
Argentina
English to French
+ ...
Horrible Jul 7, 2023

XTM is by far the worst platform I've ever used. The interface is horrible, and so are the fonts and the tag design. It's over-complicated. In order to search for a word, you have to open an endless filter menu, collapse a sub-menu, check several boxes,... You cannot even simply copy/paste tags. The real-time QA feature is per se a good idea, but it doesn't work properly. I hate XTM and the last time I've used it, I spent more time struggling with the platform than performing the translator. I h... See more
XTM is by far the worst platform I've ever used. The interface is horrible, and so are the fonts and the tag design. It's over-complicated. In order to search for a word, you have to open an endless filter menu, collapse a sub-menu, check several boxes,... You cannot even simply copy/paste tags. The real-time QA feature is per se a good idea, but it doesn't work properly. I hate XTM and the last time I've used it, I spent more time struggling with the platform than performing the translator. I hope it disappears very soon or that the designer finally understands that the aim of a platform is to help translator save time, and not hinder their work.Collapse

Philippe Noth
Miranda Drew
Harmjan Heeling
Mikael Arhelger

Elina Sellgren
Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:06
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Agreed Sep 15, 2023

I have had to drop a once major client because they migrated fully to XTM. Now a minor client announced that they are migrating to XTM as well and naturally neither will allow exporting. My guess is that clients like the security of a cloud tool. But there are other tools that are more ergonomical and allow this as well.

I'm just so tired of having to drop clients over something like this.

Philippe Noth
Miranda Drew
Alessandra Torriani

Harmjan Heeling
Harmjan Heeling  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Dutch
+ ...
I don't like it Nov 29, 2023

The UI and UX need to be improved. They just need to look at Phrase/Memsource.

Also, a very annoying and confusing 'feature', if you can call it that, is that if you scroll through the document for a quick check, the cursor jumps back to the segment which is currently open/selected/changed, and you lose track of where you are.

Right now (11/30/2023, 11:10h) I'm working with XTM and it's extremely slow after clicking the finish button. I'm writing this while waiting for
... See more
The UI and UX need to be improved. They just need to look at Phrase/Memsource.

Also, a very annoying and confusing 'feature', if you can call it that, is that if you scroll through the document for a quick check, the cursor jumps back to the segment which is currently open/selected/changed, and you lose track of where you are.

Right now (11/30/2023, 11:10h) I'm working with XTM and it's extremely slow after clicking the finish button. I'm writing this while waiting for the file to finish (1000 words), and I'm talking minutes here. I remember contacting the developers a couple of times about this a couple of years ago. Their response was always: it's your internet connection (which is currently: 23.5 Mbps download, 10.6 Mbps upload). Upgrade your servers already.

...still waiting...

[Edited at 2023-11-30 10:17 GMT]
...still waiting...

[Edited at 2023-11-30 10:27 GMT]

Problems with merging... Error messages... After this project, I'll contact the PM and suggest moving to Phrase. This is unacceptable.

There appears to be trouble with the connection between your browser and the server.
Segments with the following IDs may not be saved:4, 5, 6
Check your connection with the server, but if the problem persists, contact your administrator or XTM support.

[Edited at 2023-11-30 11:46 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »