Thread poster: Lucas Pocis
Lucas Pocis
Lucas Pocis
Brazil
Local time: 05:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 11, 2022

I've been trying to get a few translations here but i've got no results, then i saw the application to be a certified Proz translator, but to apply i need a review, so i'm back to zero.
I'm offering low rates on my messages but i'm not being chosen always by the reason of lack of experience.
I come here to ask people that have experience as a translator, how do i start here on ProZ?

Erika Ludmila Arzamendia Echevarria

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:48
English to Russian
No offense intended Dec 11, 2022

Probably a spell checker for your browser would be a good point to start. Everybody makes mistakes, but it does not seem to be mere typos. It looks pretty systematic. As a non-native English speaker I can find an excuse for my grammar or stylistic mistakes [and even so I do my best to avoid them], but you can't excuse orthographic errors that can be identified and fixed with use of mechanical algorithms (a spellchecker tool). Typos are ok for quick messages or even forum posts but not for your p... See more
Probably a spell checker for your browser would be a good point to start. Everybody makes mistakes, but it does not seem to be mere typos. It looks pretty systematic. As a non-native English speaker I can find an excuse for my grammar or stylistic mistakes [and even so I do my best to avoid them], but you can't excuse orthographic errors that can be identified and fixed with use of mechanical algorithms (a spellchecker tool). Typos are ok for quick messages or even forum posts but not for your profile.
A second thing I would change in your profile is your photo. My photo is no example too, but if I was to consider you for my projects, I would turn you down because of numerous misspellings and a frivolous profile image. Don't take it bad.

*If mods consider my comment too rude, please remove it.

[Edited at 2022-12-12 07:01 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
British Diana
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jonatas Bento
expressisverbis
Robert Rietvelt
Barbara Carrara

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I think you need more training... and years Dec 12, 2022

I suggest that you don't advertise the fact that you are 17 years old. In most parts of the world, 17 years means that you're a child, and no company would want to trust their reputation to a child.

Try to create the impression that you're older and more mature (without being deceitful). This can be achieved by a more serious-looking profile photo and by removing the spelling mistakes from your ProZ.com profile and your résumé. Also, don't charge less simply because you're a
... See more
I suggest that you don't advertise the fact that you are 17 years old. In most parts of the world, 17 years means that you're a child, and no company would want to trust their reputation to a child.

Try to create the impression that you're older and more mature (without being deceitful). This can be achieved by a more serious-looking profile photo and by removing the spelling mistakes from your ProZ.com profile and your résumé. Also, don't charge less simply because you're a beginner. Companies who expect a professional translation won't be eager to use you simply because you're cheaper, even if there is a legitimate reason for being cheaper.

While it's excusable to make small typing mistakes in a forum post, your résumé and your profile page act as advertisements of your skill, so they should both be flawless.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Robert Rietvelt
Rachel Waddington
Lucas Pocis
Diego Lopez

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:48
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lucas Dec 12, 2022

In this day and age trying to get into translation market without some kind of university degree is hopeless. So, I’d suggest that you get it first and at the same time maybe you could team up with a senior translator to learn the ropes…

expressisverbis
Robert Rietvelt
Angie Garbarino
Lucas Pocis
Kay Denney
Diego Lopez

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lucas Dec 12, 2022

Regarding your profile page you should read this very useful article posted by a Proz member a few years ago but still accurate:

https://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/541/1

Diego Lopez

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe it's worth taking a look Dec 12, 2022

Two years ago, a 17-year-old boy asked a similar question here, and he also got good advice:

https://www.proz.com/forum/portuguese/344533-conselhos_e_dicas_para_um_jovem_que_deseja_se_tornar_um_tradutor.html

[Edited at 2022-12-12 09:50 GMT]

Silvia Martins

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It would be interesting to know... Dec 12, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

Two years ago, a 17-year-old boy asked a similar question here, and he also got good advice:

https://www.proz.com/forum/portuguese/344533-conselhos_e_dicas_para_um_jovem_que_deseja_se_tornar_um_tradutor.html

[Edited at 2022-12-12 09:50 GMT]

... what happened to him?

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No idea... Dec 12, 2022

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

... what happened to him?

At the age of 17, all that I wanted was to complete my secondary education, and after that find a job, gain experience and go to the University - that was my journey and I don't regret it!
I always like to have my feet on the ground and like we say here "não fazer omeletes sem ovos"
Building a translation career requires a great deal of commitment. Becoming a translator takes both talent and perseverance. This is my key advice.
I wish all the best for both teenagers in their career

Lieven Malaise
Robert Rietvelt
Angie Garbarino
Lucas Pocis

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Education Dec 12, 2022

I suggest you try to obtain a degree in translation first. At that point you will be a mediocre translator (no offense, but at this exact moment you can't be more than a bad one) and you can try to become a good one by gaining experience (your degree will open the door to jobs) by translating and then translating some more, year after year.

I think it's painful how the translation profession is seen by many people like some kind of universal skill that you can use whenever you think
... See more
I suggest you try to obtain a degree in translation first. At that point you will be a mediocre translator (no offense, but at this exact moment you can't be more than a bad one) and you can try to become a good one by gaining experience (your degree will open the door to jobs) by translating and then translating some more, year after year.

I think it's painful how the translation profession is seen by many people like some kind of universal skill that you can use whenever you think it's appropriate.

It's not.

[Edited at 2022-12-12 10:48 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Robert Rietvelt
Joe France
Barbara Carrara
Lucas Pocis
Diego Lopez

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
A word of advice Dec 12, 2022

Ignore the threads about Machine Translation, AI, Cyborgs etc. if you wish to choose translation as a career going forward.

Lucas Pocis
Rebecca Marsden

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Don't need a degree Dec 12, 2022

Most translation degrees don't actually train you to become a good translator. I'm not saying they're a waste of time, but you should not expect that a degree or diploma course would necessarily help you to become a better translator. I'd suggest you start by reading some of the books about becoming a freelance translator (for the business aspects of it) and try to get your own translations checked by an experienced translator (so that you get better linguistically). Try to join a local trans... See more
Most translation degrees don't actually train you to become a good translator. I'm not saying they're a waste of time, but you should not expect that a degree or diploma course would necessarily help you to become a better translator. I'd suggest you start by reading some of the books about becoming a freelance translator (for the business aspects of it) and try to get your own translations checked by an experienced translator (so that you get better linguistically). Try to join a local translators' association -- they might have some good advice and access to people who can help you.Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Jorge Payan
Jennifer Levey
Lucas Pocis
Joakim Braun
Diego Lopez

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, but ... Dec 12, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
Most translation degrees don't actually train you to become a good translator. I'm not saying they're a waste of time, but you should not expect that a degree or diploma course would necessarily help you to become a better translator.

I agree that you can't be trained to become a good translator without translating intensively. You learn most of your translating skills on the job, but a degree learns you master (your chosen) languages. And a thorough understanding of your source language(s) and profound written skills in your target language are basic to become a good translator. You don't learn that without a proper language degree (leaving aside the usual exceptions).

expressisverbis
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
. Dec 12, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:
but a degree learns you master (your chosen) languages.

I understand that education is important, but couldn't you acquire that through reading books in your source language (as opposed to watching rubbish on Netflix)? Plus people here usually harp on about specialization, which is something you don't get studying diptrans (AFAIK).

Jorge Payan
Jennifer Levey
Dan Lucas
Lucas Pocis

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
I doubt it. Dec 12, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:
I understand that education is important, but couldn't you acquire that through reading books in your source language (as opposed to watching rubbish on Netflix)?

Reading books is always a good idea, but obviously doesn't replace a proper education. A translator is a dissectionist and you can't be a good one without a thorough understanding of spelling and grammar rules. You don't learn those by reading books in your source language (unless it's a grammar book).

I think it's remarkable that among translators education is taken so lightly. Translation is something you mainly learn during your working years, but for the languages itself you need education, and actually a lot of it.

expressisverbis
Lucas Pocis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Education/Experience Dec 12, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

I understand that education is important, but couldn't you acquire that through reading books in your source language (as opposed to watching rubbish on Netflix)?

Better than reading books in our source languages is to interact with their speakers.
You can do this by attending languages courses, by communicating in person or virtually with native speakers, or by living abroad.
A friend of mine worked for 6 years with a Portuguese team in engineering. After a while he could speak a very reasonable Portuguese even with a "Portuense" accent. I was really amazed!
His native language wasn't even a Romance language, and he had a background in law.
A degree is important as well as experience, and if we have the chance to combine both, it can make wonders.

Baran Keki
Lucas Pocis
Stepan Konev
Rachel Waddington

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get started as a translator

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »