Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What happened to the five-limit-per-day rule for non-platinum members? ('fixed')
Thread poster: Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
United States
Local time: 00:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 14, 2006

What happened to the five-limit-per-day rule for non-platinum members?

How can someone who is not a platinum member have asked 15 questions on June 8th, 3 questions on June 9th, 8 questions on June 12th, 6 questions on June 13th, and 19 (23 now, actually) questions in queue already (and that is just one example under "asked" questions)?

How can that be possible, or more importantly, how can he/she be allowed to do that?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am talk
... See more
What happened to the five-limit-per-day rule for non-platinum members?

How can someone who is not a platinum member have asked 15 questions on June 8th, 3 questions on June 9th, 8 questions on June 12th, 6 questions on June 13th, and 19 (23 now, actually) questions in queue already (and that is just one example under "asked" questions)?

How can that be possible, or more importantly, how can he/she be allowed to do that?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am talking about our friend who recently celebrated his/her anniversary asking questions on the same topic/translation for over a year now.

Sormane F. Gomes

P.S. And just for the record, my beef is NOT with being platinum or non-platinum. It's with people openly taking advantage of our members.

[Edited at 2006-06-14 18:22]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-06-14 18:59]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please submit a support request Jun 14, 2006

The rule has not disappeared, so there must be a bug of some kind. Please let Technical Support know about it.

[Edited at 2006-06-14 17:43]

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 07:33
English to Greek
+ ...
This being ProZ.... Jun 14, 2006

anything is possible.

Why don't you just ignore the poster, Sormane, and ensure that you keep your sanity?

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:33
French to Spanish
+ ...
I knew it! Jun 14, 2006

"Please submit a support request. There must be a bug." Period.

I've red your "1st. anniversary"... amazing, and it's going on.

I've been punished in Spanish for a minor offense.
Big one's don't seem to be important.

Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right. Jun 14, 2006

Nadia Fahmi wrote:

anything is possible.

Why don't you just ignore the poster, Sormane, and ensure that you keep your sanity?

You know what? You’re probably right.

It seems I am in the minority when it comes to annoyance with recent abuses and unprofessional behavior on this site. I will shut up about it and probably rethink my participation and contributions from now on.

Sormane F. Gomes

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:33
English to French
I did not know about this rule... and am surprised. Jun 14, 2006

I am non-platinium, and do not ask many questions... but answer a lot.
And I wonder whether, when you ask questions, you mind that much if non-platinium answer your questions ?
I would understand a limitation to 5 questions per day for everybody, I am not that sure that distinguishing here between platinium and non-platinium is really useful.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 21:33
English to French
+ ...
Maybe not... Jun 14, 2006

Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes wrote:

It seems I am in the minority when it comes to annoyance with recent abuses and unprofessional behavior on this site.

We have this phrase in French, "la majorité silencieuse" [silent majority]. You may have a similar phrase in Portuguese.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
please don't go:-) Jun 14, 2006

Nadia Fahmi wrote:

anything is possible.

It seems I am in the minority when it comes to annoyance with recent abuses and unprofessional behavior on this site. I will shut up about it and probably rethink my participation and contributions from now on.

Sormane F. Gomes

Sormane

It would be such a shame if you left.... but you wouldn't eb the first ...many people of your calibre have left or have simply left off participating, becuase of abuses, unporofessionalism, etc

Ailish

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Please submit a support ticket! Jun 14, 2006

Nadia Fahmi wrote:

anything is possible.

Sormane F. Gomes

Sormane, I don't think you should follow Nadia's advice (though I sympathize). This is a clear case of abuse (on the asker's part, since the limits are shown at the first stage of submitting a KudoZ question) and of a bug that Proz site staff needs to know about.

Please take a minute to submit a support ticket, and don't forget to send the name of the offending asker and maybe the URL of one or two questions so that site staff can investigate. If I knew who you're talking about (which you can't say here on the forum, of course) I would gladly submit it myself.

Whether or not there should be limits, and what privileges full or platinum members should have, are different topics for other forums. Right here, right now, there is a rule that is apparently not being enforced. That's unfair to all of us who follow the rules. But site staff is not omniscient--if there's a problem, they need to be told so they can do something about it.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do not mingle in the King`s lots. Jun 14, 2006

Nadia Fahmi wrote:

anything is possible.

Sormane F. Gomes

Somane, I don`t think it is just minority. Just the opposite. But, if the people that are supposed to do things don`t do it,... well, as Nadia said, ignore it and keep your sanity.

That`s what I did after several similar complaints in forums and in messages to Moderators.

One of the moderators told ME to open a support ticket (?!) (wouldn`t it be much easier and faster if that moderator presented this problem in the modddies forum, I wonder?)
Another moderator told me there were some bugs, probably, they thought, and they were working on it.

Well, I didn`t want to insist. There`s a saying in Spanish: "No se puede ser más realista que el Rey" (something like "you can`t outroyal the King").

My sanity and my time are more important.

Cheers.

Walter

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moderators are not paid site staff. Jun 14, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

...well, as Nadia said, ignore it and keep your sanity.

That`s what I did after several similar complaints in forums and in messages to Moderators.

One of the moderators told ME to open a support ticket (?!) I(wouldn`t it be much easier and faster if that moderator presented this problem in the modddies forum, I wonder?)
Another moderator told me there were some bugs, probably, they thought, and they were working on it.

Well, I didn`t want to insist. ...
My sanity and my time are more important.

Cheers.

Walter

Walter, your sanity and time are both very important, and you've given a lot of your time to answering KudoZ so that the rest of us can learn from your expertise. So I don't understand why you wouldn't devote 3 minutes of that time to opening a support ticket, rather than expecting a Moderator (an unpaid volunteer) to do it for you.

Moderators have been very helpful to me. I have called them to KudoZ questions or to forums when I thought someone was being abusive (insulting other users, for instance), and they have dealt with the situations. But they are not the techies who fix bugs on the website.

If any user, including a Moderator, spots a bug, the thing to do is open a support ticket. If it's fixed, that's to the good of the entire Proz community.

Sormane, if you send me an email via my profile page and tell me the username and a URL or two, I will send the support ticket for you. But I think it would be better if you did it, since you're the witness and work in the proper language pair. Site staff can't do a thing about it if no one tells them who we're talking about.

justin C
justin C
United States
English
User was not getting around limits, a bug was displaying questions asked wrong in the users profile Jun 14, 2006

Hello all,

The 5 question limit for site users is still in effect, and working. The problem Sormane was pointing out was a problem in the KudoZ stats page ( in user profiles ). The stats page was not correctly showing what time a question was taken out of a users question queue ( http://www.proz.com/topic/47679 ) and made public.

In short, the user in question was not getting a
... See more
Hello all,

The 5 question limit for site users is still in effect, and working. The problem Sormane was pointing out was a problem in the KudoZ stats page ( in user profiles ). The stats page was not correctly showing what time a question was taken out of a users question queue ( http://www.proz.com/topic/47679 ) and made public.

In short, the user in question was not getting around limits, but a bug in the KudoZ stats pages was causing it to look like user was getting around limits.

I have fixed the problem.

Best Regards,
Justin
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you, Justin. Jun 14, 2006

justin wrote:

Best Regards,
Justin

Thank you, Justin.
Quick and efficient as usual.

Cheers,

Walter

Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for fixing the problem, Justin, but... Jun 14, 2006

justin wrote:

In short, the user in question was not getting around limits, but a bug in the KudoZ stats pages was causing it to look like user was getting around limits.

Best Regards,
Justin

Thanks for fixing the problem, Justin, but IMHO, that's half problem solved.

The fact of the matter is that this person has been asking around 5 questions a day (and 24 questions in queue, so far; BTW, they're still showing) on the same topic/translation for over a year now. Also, isn't the limit 20 questions per week? That is not right, but I will keep my promise, I will shut up about it.

This is the last time I will ever bring up this subject/type of abuse. I'm done! I feel like I'm going against the grain here.

Thanks again for your prompt response.

Sormane F. Gomes

[Edited at 2006-06-15 13:30]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happened to the five-limit-per-day rule for non-platinum members? ('fixed')

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »