Carlota Gurt Daví (X)
Carlota Gurt Daví (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:13
English to Catalan
+ ...
Jun 23, 2011

Hi all,

I am preparing the surtitles for a theatre performance. I have been wondering whether to buy or not a software specific for surtitling (not for subtitling, as the characteriscics of supertitle are quiet specific).
I have found some options but I still don't know the prices and they seemed to be quite expensive as they are intended for opera houses. I am willing to work in this in the future so I will probably end up buying a software.

If I find nothing f
... See more
Hi all,

I am preparing the surtitles for a theatre performance. I have been wondering whether to buy or not a software specific for surtitling (not for subtitling, as the characteriscics of supertitle are quiet specific).
I have found some options but I still don't know the prices and they seemed to be quite expensive as they are intended for opera houses. I am willing to work in this in the future so I will probably end up buying a software.

If I find nothing for a good price or with time limited license I will probably use a Power Point presentation.

So, my questions are:
1. Is there any FREE software for surtitling?
2. If not, which "purchaseables" softwares are there for PC?
3. In any case, if I use a PowerPoint, taking into account that I will launch each surtitle manually, is there a way/funtion that makes that a slide fades to black after a specific time , e.g., 6 seconds? I know I can insert a black slide between 2 slides with text but I think this is quite annoying.
4. Or, is there maybe another software or application that can help me launch surtitles live?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Startled Jun 23, 2011

I was amazed to discover what it was. Though I had seen it a couple of times in operas, after all these years in video subtitling, I had never thought of it, never wondered how it was done.

My first search led me to this site, where they have a
... See more
I was amazed to discover what it was. Though I had seen it a couple of times in operas, after all these years in video subtitling, I had never thought of it, never wondered how it was done.

My first search led me to this site, where they have a very elucidative explanatory PDF booklet on the various ways it's done professionally.

I am not advertising for this company, never saw them before, however they have a rental option, like most of the things in theater are often rented, e.g. lighting, audio, etc.

As they rent it, chances are they or similar companies would give the software for free, in the hope that the only option will be to use their equipment.

I'd use PowerPoint only if you were dealing with amateur theater, as I consider PPT as amateur software on its own, thoroughly unreliable. A well-programmed PDF with Acrobat Reader should be more dependable.
Collapse

Carlota Gurt Daví (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
supertitles Jun 23, 2011

Thanks José Henrique. Yes, I know how it works, but I don't want to hire screens, as I just need a software that can work with a projector. I have found supertitles.gr, but still haven't heard form them. Anyway, thank you for the advice.

[Edited at 2011-06-23 17:48 GMT]

Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Screen Jun 23, 2011

What kind of screen is used? LED above the stage, small LCDs in seats or a simple projector to a strip of projection screen above the stage?

With LED and small LCD solutions I think you have to use a special software (provided by the system integrator).
With projector you can use whatever you want (starting from powerpoint). I also googled a little and found this program with a
... See more
What kind of screen is used? LED above the stage, small LCDs in seats or a simple projector to a strip of projection screen above the stage?

With LED and small LCD solutions I think you have to use a special software (provided by the system integrator).
With projector you can use whatever you want (starting from powerpoint). I also googled a little and found this program with a trial version you can get if you e-mail them http://www.supertitles.gr/en/surtitles/

It looks like a fascinating field - both, interesting technical solutions and something different than usual in writing.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The audio solution Jun 23, 2011

It took me a while to find it again, but a great solution for theater audio is Cue Player. I'd be on the lookout for a solution for "showing slides" that had the same look and feel. Maybe you could suggest to its authors... If they buy the idea, it should be easy to adapt what they already have.

Carlota Gurt Daví (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 23, 2011

Thanks Lennart. Yes, supertitles is just what I found, but I am waiting for a reply regarding prices and trail versions. I want to use it with a videoprojectro (not led screen).
José Henrique, tahnks for the tip, I'll check it!

nova-subtitles
nova-subtitles
English to French
Free software for surtitling / supertitling Oct 28, 2012

Hello,
This topic is a bit old, but this might still be useful to you or other people on these forums:
We've developed a software for the needs of our cinema and it does just what you wrote about.
It's free to use so don't hesitate, you'll find all the info needed on our webpage:

http://www.nova-cinema.org/spip.php?article10454

best,

Carlota Gurt Daví (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Oct 29, 2012

Wow, that's just great. I'll test it as soon as I have another surtitling job.
Thank you for your efforts!
Carlota

nova-subtitles
nova-subtitles
English to French
Update on our software Jul 9, 2013

Just to let you know our free surtitling software, Qstit, has evolved a lot and we have a new website explaining everything, so feel free to check it out and spread the word:
http://subtitles.nova-cinema.org

Carlota Gurt Daví (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just what I needed! Jul 24, 2013

Thanks! I just had a look and it seems to be just what I needed.
I will use it next time I have to do surtitling.
Thanks for your work!
Carlota

Knarr
Knarr
English to Italian
+ ...
news Jun 17, 2015

Hi,
I'm looking for professional software as well. I have tested Subtivals, and it's good to be an opensource software (though it costs 150€ on windows!). However I'm looking for something more reliable. I've seen glypheo, though I don't own a Mac and therefore cannot try it out.
Supertitles.gr is way too expensive. Any suggestion?

Carlota Gurt Daví (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subtivals not reliable? Jun 18, 2015

Hi Knarr,
I was planning to work with subtivals this autumn, but you say you are looking for a more reliable software. Have you had any problems with it? Is it not reliable? I would very much appreciate your opnion.
I also saw the glypheo software but I also don't own a Mac. So, for the time being, I don't think there is anything in the market of the kind we need.

MarkRaishbrook
MarkRaishbrook
Portugal
Portuguese to English
Surtitling Software Oct 31, 2015

Carlota Gurt Daví wrote:

Hi Knarr,
I was planning to work with subtivals this autumn, but you say you are looking for a more reliable software. Have you had any problems with it? Is it not reliable? I would very much appreciate your opnion.
I also saw the glypheo software but I also don't own a Mac. So, for the time being, I don't think there is anything in the market of the kind we need.

36Caracteres based in Madrid are experienced surtitlers and also offer a software solution, Carlota.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Surtitling software

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »