New to the Business, finding Subtitling work?
Thread poster: Stephan Budge
Stephan Budge
Stephan Budge
Chile
Local time: 03:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 11, 2006

Well, I'm not really sure where to start, but this seems like a very friendly group. I'm from the US, but have been living in Santiago now for a few years teaching English as a Second Language, and doing the odd translation job as it came up with my fiance. Now that we have internet at home, it seems our time would be much better spent translating than teaching.

Coming from an IT background, I'm also very experienced in AV editing, so we're hoping to acquire subtitling/translating
... See more
Well, I'm not really sure where to start, but this seems like a very friendly group. I'm from the US, but have been living in Santiago now for a few years teaching English as a Second Language, and doing the odd translation job as it came up with my fiance. Now that we have internet at home, it seems our time would be much better spent translating than teaching.

Coming from an IT background, I'm also very experienced in AV editing, so we're hoping to acquire subtitling/translating work. Any suggestions?
Collapse

Andrea Lorca
Andrea Lorca  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:29
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try local forums Sep 23, 2006

Hi Stephan
I am from Spain and, like yourself, I have been living in Chile for the past few years. Sadly I don't know anybody working in the subtitling area, and I would like to because I studied cinema and tv as my bachelor degree. I recommend you contact tv and cinema producing companies,which is something you might have done already.
As far as I know, most of the translating bussiness for Latinamerica takes place in Mexico, Argent
... See more
Hi Stephan
I am from Spain and, like yourself, I have been living in Chile for the past few years. Sadly I don't know anybody working in the subtitling area, and I would like to because I studied cinema and tv as my bachelor degree. I recommend you contact tv and cinema producing companies,which is something you might have done already.
As far as I know, most of the translating bussiness for Latinamerica takes place in Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela and Miami but Chile Films (www.chilefilms.cl) also works in this area.
Another alternative is to contact more local forums. Proz has a private forum for translators living in Chile (moderated by Claudia Iglesias - http://www.proz.com/profile/17379) and a there is a yahoo group for chilean translators. Someone in those forums might have a better answer for you.
Good luck

Andrea
Collapse

Annissa 7ar
Annissa 7ar
Argentina
Local time: 06:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Suggesting Nov 3, 2006

Hello Stephan and Andrea,

Andrea´s suggestion is excellent. I know that there, in the private Chilean forum you can find some colleagues that do that kind of work.

good luck,
Annissa

alorcalopez wrote:

Hi Stephan
As far as I know, most of the translating bussiness for Latinamerica takes place in Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela and Miami but Chile Films (www.chilefilms.cl) also works in this area.
Another alternative is to contact more local forums. Proz has a private forum for translators living in Chile (moderated by Claudia Iglesias - http://www.proz.com/profile/17379) and a there is a yahoo group for chilean translators. Someone in those forums might have a better answer for you.
Good luck

Andrea

Stephan Budge
Stephan Budge
Chile
Local time: 03:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 12, 2006

Thanks for the great advice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to the Business, finding Subtitling work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »