Thread poster: inger nordhagen
fionainrome
fionainrome
Italy
Local time: 16:12
Italian to English
I can't believe this! Dec 6, 2007

No, I said "translating".
Couldn't immagine anybody doing the whole caboodle for 3€/minute. I yet to hear of an agency offering such a low rate, and if anybody is willing to accept it, they really couldn't make a living on that.
That's why I assumed it was translating only, and even that is on the very low side.
[/quote]

I earn 2.06 Euro net per minute (translating from Italian to English and vice versa. No time cueing, just translating feature films and crappy
... See more
No, I said "translating".
Couldn't immagine anybody doing the whole caboodle for 3€/minute. I yet to hear of an agency offering such a low rate, and if anybody is willing to accept it, they really couldn't make a living on that.
That's why I assumed it was translating only, and even that is on the very low side.
[/quote]

I earn 2.06 Euro net per minute (translating from Italian to English and vice versa. No time cueing, just translating feature films and crappy soap operas) and up till now I thought it wasn't too bad at all. I mean, I basically work no more than two and a half days a week and I earn about 1.250 euros net per month (working part time). I don't know about other countries, but unfortunately many people here in Italy don't get paid that much for a 9 to 5 (more like 9 to 7) job.
Now, I know salaries are higher in the UK and now I guess in France too, but if I got paid 5 euros per minute (you all say it should be the minumum rate) I would be making up to 3000 euros net per month for a part time job and I think that would be considered a LOT anywhere!!! What I don't get here is, why are so many of you complaining that the rates are low when I imagine this is what you are earning? Am I missing something here? Afer all I live in one of the most expensive cities in Europe so it's not that I don't know about the cost of life etc.
Another question I have is, do you think it would be possible to work for a British agency from Rome via internet? I had a Swedish friend who did that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Ta!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

prices subtitling

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »