prices subtitling
Thread poster: inger nordhagen
juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:39
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Hi Andrea Feb 9, 2007

Of course, not all "green" subtitlers are like the ones I am talking about, and I am glad, that you are not one of them. I usually persevered with most of the new ones for a while to see, how much they were willing to learn from the corrections they received.

The sad truth was that not many, even when they were repeatedly asked to change bad habits, bad grammar, or observe common sense conventions or even rules required to produce decent work. I wasn't shocked by the lack of knowle
... See more
Of course, not all "green" subtitlers are like the ones I am talking about, and I am glad, that you are not one of them. I usually persevered with most of the new ones for a while to see, how much they were willing to learn from the corrections they received.

The sad truth was that not many, even when they were repeatedly asked to change bad habits, bad grammar, or observe common sense conventions or even rules required to produce decent work. I wasn't shocked by the lack of knowledge when it came to special expressions or slang, or formating the subtitles, but the lack of observation, lack of discipline, disregard of the advice given repeatedly.

The secret of the other subject is to find another niche, be flexible. You have to look around, and do your homework, seize opportunities.
Collapse

absciarretta
absciarretta  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
First subtitle job... Feb 20, 2007

I am currently doing my first subtitling job, from audio files, including transcribing, cueing and translating and even at 7£ a minute, if I had known what I was letting myself in for I doubt I would have said yes... Well, I might have if I had the correct software for it instead of typing it all in by hand in a Word doc.

juvera
English to Hungarian
+ ...
That's what we were trying to warn people about Feb 20, 2007

Dear Birgitte,

That's why it is important to get to know the ins and outs of what people usually simply call "subtitling".

The fee you are getting would be right for translation only.

The transcription from audio tapes is a job in itself, and the time-cueing is another.

On top of that, the full transcription is not the same as time-cued subtitles. It has to be consolidated, reduced to fit the timing, length, time restriction and reading speed
... See more
Dear Birgitte,

That's why it is important to get to know the ins and outs of what people usually simply call "subtitling".

The fee you are getting would be right for translation only.

The transcription from audio tapes is a job in itself, and the time-cueing is another.

On top of that, the full transcription is not the same as time-cued subtitles. It has to be consolidated, reduced to fit the timing, length, time restriction and reading speed of the subtitles.

Some people are experienced in producing subtitles with time-cues, straight from the tapes, but these are always done in the original language.

That's what the translator of the subtitles would use to prepare the translation.

The software would have saved the typing in of the timing, and would give you a better control.

I hope that at least it is an interesting project, and you learn a lot about subtitling in the maintime.

Good luck
Judith

[Edited at 2007-02-20 11:54]
Collapse

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 10:39
English to French
Surprise... Feb 20, 2007

Yes, subtitling can be very enjoyable, but it's not as cool a job as many may think. It's a lot of (skilled) work. And in that field as in many others, quality has a (minimum) price...

absciarretta
absciarretta  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Thanks Judith Feb 21, 2007

It is interesting and not too complicated, just way too much work for a first time.

Renato Pavicic
Renato Pavicic
English to Croatian
+ ...
OMG Mar 7, 2007

20-30?
5-6?

Oh, oh......

The company I worked for until few months paid (per minute):
1,60 EUR - movies
1,75 EUR - documentaries

That's from English into Croatian. I was naïve when I started, but I did my math and gave up.
Later on I've heard (hearsay) that translators into other languages, which work for that same company, are paid at least two times more then we are. I don't know for sure how much the translators into Croatian tha
... See more
20-30?
5-6?

Oh, oh......

The company I worked for until few months paid (per minute):
1,60 EUR - movies
1,75 EUR - documentaries

That's from English into Croatian. I was naïve when I started, but I did my math and gave up.
Later on I've heard (hearsay) that translators into other languages, which work for that same company, are paid at least two times more then we are. I don't know for sure how much the translators into Croatian that do not live in Croatia are paid (another hearsay - they were paid as others, but when this company started to recruit translators in Croatia, they got the same amount as above, and that is the reason why they do not translate, they just "simulate").

I know that I'm not allowed to name that company. I do not even dare to mention the "magnificent" piece of software that we have to use if we are to work for them. Once I mentioned that I hate it, and few weeks later a guy from that company called me by phone and started nagging me as why do I hate it? I answer why, gave him bunch of reasons, and he said "that's not to reason to hate it". Well, it is to me!

PS - I forgot to mention that above price is including tax, but during negotiations that was not mentioned. Only after few months they told us (even then indirectly) that we have to pay the tax out of that sum. Thats when I decided to give up.

[Edited at 2007-03-07 18:13]
Collapse

Matthew Holway
Matthew Holway  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
pricing.. (aiyy!) Jun 8, 2007

Tuliparola wrote:

Lately I visited a colleague who is subtitling. It it is much more time-consuming than I thought.
You have to learn how to apply the special subtitling software. She was paid a fixed amount per film.
The time factor is more important here than the amount of text.
Ahmed and Sokolniki:
how much time do you need per minute?
Regards
Steffi

How much per film (more or less??)
thnx

Mariana Lucia Sammarco
Mariana Lucia Sammarco  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Then... What would be appropriate? Sep 9, 2007

I've been reading your e-mails about pricing and please let me know if these are correct rates:

Subtitle translation: USD 6 per minute.

Subtitle creation and translation: USD 20/25 per minute.

How much would it be subtitle creation alone?

Thank you!

Janet Ross Snyder
Janet Ross Snyder  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:39
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
this seems to be in the ballpark Sep 16, 2007

sokolniki wrote:

..$5.50 - $6.00 per minute.

I recently did my first job of translating subtitles. I was given a time-coded transcription to work from and I did the job in Word. I was paid by the word, not by minutes of film, but it worked out to slightly more than $6.00 per minute of video. It took me about 6 hours to translate a 20-minute video, so I ended up earning just over my usual hourly rate for proofreading.

I enjoyed the challenge of making the translation accurate, concise, and easily readable.

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
Subtitling/template origination rates Oct 14, 2007

The normal rate paid by most companies for monolingual subtitling or translation template origination is £3-£4 per minute, which works out at about US$6-8 per minute at current exchange rates. Origination including translation is about £6 per minute, or US$12. If anyone knows of a company which pays more, let me know!

The rate has fallen by about 30% over the last four years.

Maya Gorgoshidze
Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 12:39
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Just a note Oct 14, 2007

kmtext wrote:

... If anyone knows of a company which pays more, let me know!

OK, but please always keep in mind the site rule: http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

Outsourcers may not be discussed specifically.

Regards,
Maya

OffMag
OffMag  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
French subtitlers Nov 26, 2007

I was just offered 3€/min in France, which is so low I would have to subtitle 2 feature films per week to make a living.
My minimum is 5€/min : subtitling with script, no cueing.

To those who are translators. Subtitling is a different job. You have to learn it.

Also : you can't write bills with an URSSAF affiliation. You need an AGESSA affiliation.
Agencies are not allowed to ask a freelancer to cue a film. They have to offer an employment contract for
... See more
I was just offered 3€/min in France, which is so low I would have to subtitle 2 feature films per week to make a living.

To those who are translators. Subtitling is a different job. You have to learn it.

Also : you can't write bills with an URSSAF affiliation. You need an AGESSA affiliation.
Agencies are not allowed to ask a freelancer to cue a film. They have to offer an employment contract for that ("contrat d'intermittent"). As a subtitler you could get into trouble with the Social Security if you do more than subtitling without a contract.
Collapse

juvera
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Interesting Nov 26, 2007

natjaschon wrote:

Agencies are not allowed to ask a freelancer to cue a film. They have to offer an employment contract for that ("contrat d'intermittent"). As a subtitler you could get into trouble with the Social Security if you do more than subtitling without a contract.

This is the first time I heard of this practice - compulsory employment - for film cueing. I wonder if France is the only place where this happens.

I agree with you that 3€ is way too low, on the other hand I can't quite understand this remark:

I would have to subtitle 2 feature films per week to make a living.

Translating the subtitles of two feature films per week - if you are not translating other things beside - is a pretty average performance. I would think three films per week a reasonably good one, but not outstanding. In other words around 60 minutes of an average film a day should be achievable, even with mediocre typing abilities, like I have.

There is the occasional stinker, of course, but things tend to average out on the long run.

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
French way to do things... Nov 26, 2007

juvera wrote:
This is the first time I heard of this practice - compulsory employment - for film cueing. I wonder if France is the only place where this happens.

What she meant is translating a movie is paid as "droits d'auteur", whereas cueing it is considered a technical task and has to be paid as "salaire". Two different kinds of money, as far as French law and taxes are concerned.
Well, France is a strange place anyway. You can even regularly get 12 to 15 € per minute of programme there (cueing included)...

Translating the subtitles of two feature films per week is a pretty average performance. I would think three films per week a reasonably good one, but not outstanding.

See above. No (French) client would dare ask you to do that in France. The usual timing would be one movie a week. If you can deliver quality working that fast, good for you. Three features a week would include cueing and rehearsing/proofing them ?

juvera
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Slight misunderstanding Nov 26, 2007

Sylvano wrote:
Well, France is a strange place anyway. You can even regularly get 12 to 15 € per minute of programme there (cueing included)...

Translating the subtitles of two feature films per week is a pretty average performance. I would think three films per week a reasonably good one, but not outstanding.

See above. No (French) client would dare ask you to do that in France. The usual timing would be one movie a week. If you can deliver quality working that fast, good for you. Three features a week would include cueing and rehearsing/proofing them ?

No, I said "translating".
Couldn't immagine anybody doing the whole caboodle for 3€/minute. I yet to hear of an agency offering such a low rate, and if anybody is willing to accept it, they really couldn't make a living on that.
That's why I assumed it was translating only, and even that is on the very low side.

And of course, cueing is time-consuming. To do all this work would be about 5-6 minutes of film in a hour, plus proofing, which is about twice the time of the duration of the film. Proofing one's own work doesn't take too long, because usually we are unaware of a lot of our own mistakes.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

prices subtitling

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »