Janne Kauppila
Janne Kauppila
Finland
Local time: 17:35
French to Finnish
+ ...
Jul 4, 2007

Hi!

Is there a real alternative for Cavena's (www.cavena.se) subtitling software? At least here in Finland it's Tempo software seems to be an industry standard.

But Tempo is fairly expensive (about 1 000 e per year) and I'd prefer using a Mac.

What are you experiences about software? Some of you seem to be using Subtitle Workshop. But is it really good enough for professional s
... See more
Hi!

Is there a real alternative for Cavena's (www.cavena.se) subtitling software? At least here in Finland it's Tempo software seems to be an industry standard.

But Tempo is fairly expensive (about 1 000 e per year) and I'd prefer using a Mac.

What are you experiences about software? Some of you seem to be using Subtitle Workshop. But is it really good enough for professional subtitling - dvd / hd authoring and working for broadcast companies? How about Belle Nuit for Mac?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and have a great summer!

Janne
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Subtitle Workshop Jul 4, 2007

jannepok wrote:
What are you experiences about software? Some of you seem to be using Subtitle Workshop. But is it really good enough for professional subtitling - dvd / hd authoring and working for broadcast companies?
Janne

Janne,

Subtitle Workshop only creates a text file with all the subtitles, their respective time-ins and time-outs, as well as additional information the various subtitling programs need as they need it. That's why it saves the file to so many different types.

As a matter of fact, if you had unlimited patience, time, and knowledge of your "actually subtitling" program, you could do everything Subtitle Workshop does with the Windows Notepad!

Subtitle Workshop is somewhat limited to what you can do with subtitles during the film, such as italics, font changes, font colors, just to name a few. But I saw some subtitle editors that allow doing if on the SW-generated files.

The quality comes afterwards, and there are two basic ways of subtitling.

One is "burning" the letters onto the image, so that it will look like subtitled VHS or film (viz, 16mm, 35mm). No way to watch it without the subtitles.

The other is to create one or more overlay videos the DVD player will show in sync with the movie. You can have several of these, from which you can choose one with the player's remote control, or even turn them totally off.

The software you use to generate these is what will make the difference. For the first, "burned" type I use the freeware VirtualDub with a special plug-in, and get professional-looking results. For the second, up to 3 languages + off I use another freeware, AVI2DVD, which on its turn uses a whole bundle of other freeware programs. However I haven't discovered a way yet to make it render letters in any other color than white. Both offer that black halo around the letters, so the text is as sharp and readable as in what I see on cable TV.

Just to make it clear, I never used a Mac in my life, in spite of having used the Apple II for years. All the aforesaid is about PC + Windows.

Janne Kauppila
Janne Kauppila
Finland
Local time: 17:35
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Belle Nuit Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for the info, José. I edited a .srt-file with SW about two years ago and as I am now using a Linux-system, I was wondering if it had gotten new features etc. It seems that it's still mainly suitable only for home use.

There is Titlevision (http://www.titlevision.com/tv2003eng.htm), which could offer some competition to Cavena's Tempo. Has anyone tried doing serious work wit
... See more
Thanks for the info, José. I edited a .srt-file with SW about two years ago and as I am now using a Linux-system, I was wondering if it had gotten new features etc. It seems that it's still mainly suitable only for home use.

There is Titlevision (http://www.titlevision.com/tv2003eng.htm), which could offer some competition to Cavena's Tempo. Has anyone tried doing serious work with that?

I am also interested about Belle Nuit, it seems like a potential candidate, too. Have I missed some great subtitling software?

Janne

[Edited at 2007-07-04 22:32]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cavena or something else?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »