Flora Perez
Spain
Local time: 21:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 30, 2007

Dear all,

this is my situation:

I have been working for my first client for two months at a part-time basis, basically subtitling for DVD's (not translation, just spotting from the translated full dialogue) They want me to keep working with them doing the same job and also as a project manager, and thus launch the subtitling department. It sounds really interesting, doesn't it?

The problem is that I have been told to stay in an office for the whole day, wit
... See more
Dear all,

this is my situation:

I have been working for my first client for two months at a part-time basis, basically subtitling for DVD's (not translation, just spotting from the translated full dialogue) They want me to keep working with them doing the same job and also as a project manager, and thus launch the subtitling department. It sounds really interesting, doesn't it?

The problem is that I have been told to stay in an office for the whole day, without any contract, and being a freelancer. Apparently, I will have a minimum pay. But I haven't been told how much and I don't think they want to pay me a decent salary, for what I've seen so far (they told me I can ear from 900€ to 2000€), depending on how many hours a day I'm determined to stay in the office (8 hours=90€)

I have heard this situation is not legal (the fact of working for the same client in a same place full time), so I want to ask them, either for a contract with a minimum salary + projects (200 € a film) and accept their "funny" rates, or either work from home and do the projects for them only, not the management work, and with my own rates.

So I would like to ask:

1- whether working full time as a freelance in a specific office for the same client is actually legal or not (my client says we work per project, but everyone there has office hours to keep to, so it's actually per hours)

2- Which is the average salary for a project manager (I leave in Spain), in order to know how much could I ask or reject the work for? (I have an MA in Audiovisual Translation, so I'm properly trained to do the job)

I've always wanted to make aliving out of this translation field, but I can't pay my mortgage with peanuts.

Am I being demanding? I don't think so...

I would highly appreciate a professional opinion about these issues.

Thank you very much.

FloP
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:05
French to Spanish
+ ...
Not bad. Aug 30, 2007

I really don't know about the "legal situation", but:
You say

"I have been working for my first client for two months at a part-time basis".

So, you're quite a newbie in the "industry", right?
Now, he's offering you, let's say, 1 500 euro/month, right?

My guess: go for it, unless some kind of ilegal situation.

As a newbie -and i guess you love subtitling matters-, this is a good chance to put your first foot on the stairs, gaining e
... See more
I really don't know about the "legal situation", but:
You say

"I have been working for my first client for two months at a part-time basis".

So, you're quite a newbie in the "industry", right?
Now, he's offering you, let's say, 1 500 euro/month, right?

My guess: go for it, unless some kind of ilegal situation.

As a newbie -and i guess you love subtitling matters-, this is a good chance to put your first foot on the stairs, gaining experience and confidence, aiming to something better, of course, in several months.

As we say in Spanish:

"Los enanos también empezaron desde chiquitos".

Luck to you.
Collapse

Flora Perez
Flora Perez
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
1500€/a month - WOW Aug 31, 2007

Wow, if it was 1500€ a month thay they intend to pay me, I would not be so worried! I could even accept half, if it's netto.

About the ilegal situation, I could stand it given the situation, but the more I can avoid it, the better.

Thanks a lot for your advise, Juan. I'll think about it.

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
Could be bad Sep 3, 2007

flop wrote:

1- whether working full time as a freelance in a specific office for the same client is actually legal or not (my client says we work per project, but everyone there has office hours to keep to, so it's actually per hours)

2- Which is the average salary for a project manager (I leave in Spain), in order to know how much could I ask or reject the work for? (I have an MA in Audiovisual Translation, so I'm properly trained to do the job)

I don't know about Spain, but in France, if you sue them, they'd most certainly have to give you a work contract. In France, you can't be a freelancer and work exclusively for one client. Office hours + orders from a boss = work contract.

As far as pay is concerned, be careful : my experience is project managers usually get a lot a work and responsabilities. Less than 1500 euros a month (or 2000, if you ask me) doesn't sound good at all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

subtitling project management

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »