Please help with subtitling
Thread poster: Dramafall
Dramafall
Dramafall
Local time: 20:46
English to Thai
Oct 4, 2007

Hi there,

I am not working for a company or anything, just doing subtitles for dramas.

At the moment I am using Media subtitler and Subtitle Workshop.

But I dont think I am using these programs efficiently enough.

I translate the dramas in notepad, then time and caption them using Media subtitler, and save it as ssa

Then I adjust the timings in Subtitle workshop and then embed it onto dvd using Virtual Dub.

Is there a
... See more
Hi there,

I am not working for a company or anything, just doing subtitles for dramas.

At the moment I am using Media subtitler and Subtitle Workshop.

But I dont think I am using these programs efficiently enough.

I translate the dramas in notepad, then time and caption them using Media subtitler, and save it as ssa

Then I adjust the timings in Subtitle workshop and then embed it onto dvd using Virtual Dub.

Is there an easier way to do this?
Because in Media subtitler I caption them by holding down the apply button for every sentence.

If possible I'd really like someone to help me with a tutorial on the easiet way to do it.

I am really really new at this, so I don't really know much about subtitling at all..

Also, the dramas are on dvd, I have to convert them to avi first for it to play in the subtitling programs and then I have to convert them back to DVD again

Is there a program where I can do everything directly from dvd?

I'd really like it if I can do everything using one program.
I'd appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thank you.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
You are doing almost the right way Oct 4, 2007

I work almost like you do. However I use Media Subtitler only to open the TXT file and save it (with all times still zeroed) to SSA. Then I spot (timecode) the subtitles with Subtitle Workshop, which requires much less adrenalin and gives you better accuracy.

You can do everything, I guess, with Ulead DVD Workshop, but it won't give you the magnificently sharp subtitles you get from VirtualDub.

Flora Perez
Flora Perez
Spain
Local time: 21:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
not sure about those ones Oct 7, 2007

Hi!

I have mainly worked with WinCaps and Spot. With non of them and nor with SW you can work on DVD, you have to rip them. I have heard you can with FAB, but I have not used it actually.

The best one for me is WinCaps. It's the easiest and the most functional, but you can search on FAB about the DVD thing.

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:46
English
+ ...
You could try Lemony Nov 16, 2007

I use Swift myself, but was asked to use Lemony by a client a while ago. It will allegedly work from MPEG2, but I didn't get on too well with it. I found it quite awkward to use, but I suppose if I'd given it more time, things might have worked out differently. The logic behind all the different screens seemed a bit obscure.

At the end of the day, it's what you're used to. I tried WinCAPS but found all the mode switching a bit awkward. Swift allows spotting, transcribing and reviewi
... See more
I use Swift myself, but was asked to use Lemony by a client a while ago. It will allegedly work from MPEG2, but I didn't get on too well with it. I found it quite awkward to use, but I suppose if I'd given it more time, things might have worked out differently. The logic behind all the different screens seemed a bit obscure.

At the end of the day, it's what you're used to. I tried WinCAPS but found all the mode switching a bit awkward. Swift allows spotting, transcribing and reviewing to be done without switching modes and it's the software I've used for years. Saying that, there are features of WinCAPS which I wish Swift offered.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help with subtitling

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »