Poll: Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills?
Автор на темата: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ПЕРСОНАЛ НА САЙТА
Oct 9

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills?".

View the poll results »



 
Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Чили
Local time: 08:00
Испански на Английски
+ ...
How the heck would I know ... Oct 9

... if I do not, and will not, as a matter of principle, "rely on real-time AI translation" for anything?
JL


writeaway
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
martini
Thayenga
Christine Andersen
Maria Laura Curzi
Philip Lees
 
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Германия
Local time: 13:00
Член (2009)
Английски на Немски
+ ...
Relying on AI? Oct 9

Not even in my most audacious dreams would I even consider such a foolishness.

Customers even explicitly ask for human translations and will not accept any MT products. If I'm not mistaken, then AI is not human.

Btw. has anybody noticed that this is yet another AI related question? Taking the chance of repeating myself, how boring.


Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
writeaway
Maria Laura Curzi
Carmen Valentin-Rodriguez
Philip Lees
 
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:00
Френски на Английски
Poll suggestion Oct 9

Does reading Proz poll questions erode our will to live?

Answers:
a) Yes
b) Yes, only more so.


Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jennifer Levey
Thayenga
Rob Grayson
The Shredder
writeaway
Maria Laura Curzi
 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Португалия
Local time: 12:00
Член (2007)
Английски на Portuguese
+ ...
Other Oct 9

I don’t want to skip the mental effort and for the moment I don’t need to free up brainpower.

brain


Jennifer Levey
Angus Stewart
Philip Lees
 
Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Индонезия
Local time: 18:00
Английски на Индонезийски
+ ...
A discussion partner, not a replacement Oct 9

I voted for the fourth option.

In my own experience, the effect depends largely on how the tool is used.

If AI output is accepted without question, I can see how a translator’s skills might gradually weaken.

However, when I treat AI as a discussion partner, questioning its suggestions, checking terminology against reliable sources, and weighing alternative renderings, I find that it actually sharpens my critical thinking and broadens my knowledge.
... See more
I voted for the fourth option.

In my own experience, the effect depends largely on how the tool is used.

If AI output is accepted without question, I can see how a translator’s skills might gradually weaken.

However, when I treat AI as a discussion partner, questioning its suggestions, checking terminology against reliable sources, and weighing alternative renderings, I find that it actually sharpens my critical thinking and broadens my knowledge.

I also compare the output of two different AI tools, since each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Sometimes one offers the better rendering or term, and sometimes the other does, so I still have to evaluate both and decide for myself.

In the end, the responsibility for every word and every decision remains with the translator, and I believe that is exactly where it should stay.
▲ Collapse


Philip Lees
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор/и на този форум
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills?






CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »