Italy
Local time: 17:40
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same scam received 2 days ago Nov 26, 2022

For translation into Italian, from Caitlin Medley
Her ProZ profile is https://www.proz.com/profile/3559241

I noticed inconsistencies and poor English, so I started to be suspicious. Then I realized it was the same text someone else mentioned...

Laura

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Diana
Diana
United States
Local time: 11:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
I also got a message from this email Dec 22, 2022

ujala1 wrote:

I got this email on Oct. 17 and from the body of email, I found it suspecious since there was no company name and details and when I asked, he sent me the document for Urdu translation.

--------------------
Hello,
How are you and your family ,I have translation task from
English to Urdu let me know if you can help with this task,
waiting to hear from
you soon. Kindly get to me via email
([email protected]

Thank you,

Alice Knapp

--------------------

Now I wonder, how do they make money out of this?
any idea?

I've already been contacted previously from someone posing as Linda Sun, I played along with everything they were saying until I reported and blocked them when they gave me enough of their info. Doubt the info they gave me was really theirs but I reported it anyway.

Now I've gotten contacted by this exact same email (from Alice Knapp), same request but to translate to Spanish. I'm sending them a link to this forum telling them we know they're scammers and to stop wasting our time lol.

[Edited at 2022-12-22 17:45 GMT]

Jennifer Young
Jennifer Young
Canada
French to English
+ ...
It's still going around I suppose Jan 9, 2023

Glad I found this thread to confirm, this request seemed sketchy from the start. I got the exact same email content and document from a "Mariah Petrich" from [email protected]

"Thank you for your response, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source wo
... See more
Glad I found this thread to confirm, this request seemed sketchy from the start. I got the exact same email content and document from a "Mariah Petrich" from [email protected]

"Thank you for your response, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month and a week starting from 12/January/2023. Finally, I'm proposing a bank draft check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards "

The Word file was called LUSKO Research Organisation. The English seemed off in the email and the document so I thought it was fishy. Also no company or any info on LinkedIn etc. I was about to write an email back to say that the cheque idea was odd and no thank you but show I shall not lol.

Gross.
Collapse

Jérémy Mondor

Roberto Recio
Roberto Recio  Identity Verified
Cuba
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Confirmed: it's still going around Jan 12, 2023

Finding this thread caused me a big disappointment, but I felt an equal share of relief once I could confirm my suspicions. My thanks to the author and for all those who have contributed.

I found the "11,638 words 44 Pages" job posted on a freelance website. It neither specified the target language nor the subject of the document. That stroke me as odd, but I placed my bid anyway, asking for that information.

Then, I got this message through a freelance website:
<
... See more
Finding this thread caused me a big disappointment, but I felt an equal share of relief once I could confirm my suspicions. My thanks to the author and for all those who have contributed.

I found the "11,638 words 44 Pages" job posted on a freelance website. It neither specified the target language nor the subject of the document. That stroke me as odd, but I placed my bid anyway, asking for that information.

Then, I got this message through a freelance website:

"Thank you for your interest, please contact me on my email to share the file with you davidtaylor4099atgmail.com. I await your response."

In my reply, I kindly recommended sharing some identification, and pointed out that I'd be forced to request upfront full payment otherwise.

Then they sent the following message along with a document named PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH (1) (1).docx:

"I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 12/Jan/2023. Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I can provide my ID if you are having doubt ind but i dont think you need it! I look forward to reading from you soon.

Best Regards,

David"

The document had the following metadata:
ORIGIN
Authors: OBA
Last saved by: hp
Revision number: 2
Program name: Microsoft Office Word
Company: Hewlett-Packard
Content created: 7/24/2017 8:58 AM
Date last saved: 7/24/2017 8:58 AM
Total editing time: 00:02:00
CONTENT
Pages: 44
Word count: 10661
Character count: 60770
Line count: 506
Paragraph count 142
FILE
Size: 49.9 KB

I kindly insisted on sharing some IDs, but haven't got any response so far. And I don't think I will, of course.

Same as ujala1, I wonder how they profit from doing this. They're obviously not interested in getting the document translated by now, lol. I feel for those who have wasted their precious time (like I have) or even their valuable effort on this. Could this be some kind of phishing scam?

Jennifer Young wrote:

"Thank you for your response, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month and a week starting from 12/January/2023. Finally, I'm proposing a bank draft check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards "

The Word file was called LUSKO Research Organisation. The English seemed off in the email and the document so I thought it was fishy. Also no company or any info on LinkedIn etc. I was about to write an email back to say that the cheque idea was odd and no thank you but show I shall not lol.

Gross.

[Edited at 2023-01-12 21:26 GMT]
Collapse

Jérémy Mondor
Jérémy Mondor
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Thank you!!! Jan 15, 2023

Thank you for this post Jennifer Young! The same email was sent to me and seemd weird. I am glad I did not send any information with that person.

Jennifer Young wrote:

Regards "

Gross.

AeC2009
AeC2009  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Probably I'm another one Jan 17, 2023

Laura Gentili wrote:

For translation into Italian, from Caitlin Medley
Her ProZ profile is https://www.proz.com/profile/3559241

I noticed inconsistencies and poor English, so I started to be suspicious. Then I realized it was the same text someone else mentioned...

Laura

Unfortunately I didn't notice anything suspicious, apart from a request of bank details (*) for a kind of advance payment or something like this that she told me, what I refused. Then, after delivering 150 € worth of translation and the relevant invoice, I received several messages stating she wasn't able to find my bank office (actually, they changed office address but the IBAN code is the same) and no one now answers my e-mails.
OK, I've been buggered..., hope highlighting the problem with ProZ admins can at least have this scammer removed fro the site.

(*) I'm re-thining on the fact that she insisted for my Italian bank account, but I work in Tenerife where I have a Spanish account; this should have made me suspicious but, unfortunately, she caught me in one of the worst moments of my wife (the C of A&C has left this world few months ago) so I wasn't very smart.

[Edited at 2023-01-17 11:09 GMT]

Randi Kristensen
Anne Leinen

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
'Caitlin Medley' is a Nigerian scammer Jan 17, 2023

The IP used by that profile was 197.210.29.51 (Lagos, Nigeria).
Profile removed, email address blocked, but you should be always aware of new reincarnations of the same scammer(s).

Rasa Birute Useliene

Gabriella Tutto
Gabriella Tutto
United States
Local time: 10:40
English to Hungarian
+ ...
another one Feb 16, 2023

Thank you so much for this thread, it caused me disappointment but I was relieved, once I could confirm my suspicions.
My thanks to the author and for all those who have contributed.

Just received an email from [email protected] via ProZ.com
-----------------------
Hello,
English to Hungarian let me know if you can help with this
... See more
Thank you so much for this thread, it caused me disappointment but I was relieved, once I could confirm my suspicions.
My thanks to the author and for all those who have contributed.

Just received an email from [email protected] via ProZ.com
-----------------------
Hello,
English to Hungarian let me know if you can help with this
task, waiting to
hear from you soon. Kindly get to me via email
([email protected]
---------------------------------------
I said yes, and I received the following email
-------------
Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 18/February/2023.Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
------------------
It is the "Public Organisation Procedures" Word document (44 pages)
Collapse

Maria Suescum
Maria Suescum
Member (2020)
Request to apply to Beringl.com Feb 21, 2023

I received a request from a Proz user, Md Omar Faruk, asking me to apply for work. There are no reviews from him. Bering is a South Korean company and the writer is located in Bangladesh. It is tempting, but when I searched the website for Bering Lab and Bering Legal, the website is beringlegal.com not beringl.com so I don't trust it. Sad to let this go, scammers are so clever these days.

Hi Maria,

I'm the Marketing & Vendor Management Coordinator of Bering
La
... See more
I received a request from a Proz user, Md Omar Faruk, asking me to apply for work. There are no reviews from him. Bering is a South Korean company and the writer is located in Bangladesh. It is tempting, but when I searched the website for Bering Lab and Bering Legal, the website is beringlegal.com not beringl.com so I don't trust it. Sad to let this go, scammers are so clever these days.

Hi Maria,

I'm the Marketing & Vendor Management Coordinator of Bering
Lab, a translation agency based in Korea, with specialty in
highly
specialized/regulated areas such as legal, patents, life
sciences, and financial.

We are seeing a growing demand for ENSpanish translation
work. Browsing through your profile, I noticed that you have
done work
as a legal translator. Just wondering if you are still
available and interested in such work as a part-time
freelancer?

If so, please complete a short form at apply.beringl.com and
we will be in touch with you shortly.

All the best

Md Omar Faruk
Marketing & Vendor Management Coordinator
Bering Lab Inc
Collapse

Gabriela Raț

Leston Buell
Leston Buell
Netherlands
Member (2014)
Dutch to English
+ ...
approached this week to translate the same document Apr 13, 2023

I was approached the other day with a request to translate the same document from Spanish to English. The correspondence was a bit strange, and the English had quite a few strange errors and oddities in it considering that it was sent by someone with an English name. I'm so grateful to the translators' group on Facebook I belong to, as someone there suggested that I search for the document to see if it had perhaps already be translated. That's what led me here.

I got far enough into
... See more
I was approached the other day with a request to translate the same document from Spanish to English. The correspondence was a bit strange, and the English had quite a few strange errors and oddities in it considering that it was sent by someone with an English name. I'm so grateful to the translators' group on Facebook I belong to, as someone there suggested that I search for the document to see if it had perhaps already be translated. That's what led me here.

I got far enough into the scam that I gave the other party my full name, physical address, and mobile phone number, but it won't get any farther than that.

I'm so glad this post is here! It's amazing that the scammers are still asking victims to translate the same document in 2023 as they were doing in 2019, when this thread was first started.
Collapse

Anne Leinen
Anh Tran Nguyen Hoang

Jessica Lopez
Jessica Lopez
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Approached this week for a translation scam as well. Apr 26, 2023

Beware, can't believe they are still doing this in 2023, this is how they approached me. Once he asked for my physical address, it became suspicious for me..

I need your help to translat English to Spanish kindly
reply me via email [email protected]
Hello everything will be paid to you once. Thank you for getting back. I quite agree with your price quote and i am willing to pay for your
... See more
Beware, can't believe they are still doing this in 2023, this is how they approached me. Once he asked for my physical address, it became suspicious for me..

I need your help to translat English to Spanish kindly
reply me via email [email protected]
Hello everything will be paid to you once. Thank you for getting back. I quite agree with your price quote and i am willing to pay for your service. This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you know you have my job with you. In the
mean time, do get back to me with the following payment information in
the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details.
Payment will be received before you send the document. Get back to me
asap.

Best regards,
Collapse

Nataliia Ihnatushchenko
Nataliia Ihnatushchenko
Ukraine
Local time: 18:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Receiver today from Cynthia Peter <[email protected]> May 8, 2023

Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this
project. However, I will require your service to translate the
attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm
your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation?
The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 18th/May/2023.
Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for
the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is oka
... See more
Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this
project. However, I will require your service to translate the
attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm
your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation?
The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 18th/May/2023.
Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for
the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with
you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Warm Regards,
Cynthia
Collapse

Jay Lalonde
Jay Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:40
Icelandic to English
+ ...
Received the same scam e-mail from [email protected] yesterday May 12, 2023

The same e-mail text and 44-page document for translation, from [email protected] with no signature or other info.

Pujing Pan
Pujing Pan
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
It's my second time! May 30, 2023

Today, I received the same scam. This is my second time, this time was from: [email protected].

Coraly Savignac
Coraly Savignac
Canada
English to French
+ ...
same but from [email protected] (Christine Smith) Jun 7, 2023

I got the same message from Christine Smith ([email protected]) earlier last week to translate the same document 11,668 words. I got to the part where I had to send my full name, full physical address, and phone number. I, unfortunately, send that info, but now I know that this is a scam. Good thing I didn't translate anything as I asked for a deposit first before starting. After reading this thread, I know I'll receive a physical check by mail, but it will go straight into the trash, not d... See more
I got the same message from Christine Smith ([email protected]) earlier last week to translate the same document 11,668 words. I got to the part where I had to send my full name, full physical address, and phone number. I, unfortunately, send that info, but now I know that this is a scam. Good thing I didn't translate anything as I asked for a deposit first before starting. After reading this thread, I know I'll receive a physical check by mail, but it will go straight into the trash, not depositing anything. Good thing I decided to search the document on Google and that this thread came up.

I'm very new to proZ and freelancing in general as a recent grad. Now I know to come check the scam forums and triple-check everything and that payment by check or cash is a red flag.

Thank you all for sharing and I'm now happy to share too so that other people know to look out for this! Stay safe everyone!

Coraly Savignac
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »